One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

One of my friends who is a pretty successful recording engineer/producer swears by re-amping, there's no doubt it can "dial in" the tones more accurately and it takes away a lot of variables, but it does just feel less like a real recording experience to me haha. I'm a curmudgeon though.

That being said, as for all the talk of presets and everything, there is a 0% chance they would just use a preset and then say "that's that!" You can still tweak tones, EQ, add effects, put it through the entire mixing/mastering process, whatever. It's just the initial sound. A random dude trying out a Mesa Boogie amp isn't going to sound exactly like Enema era Tom either.

I would prefer to hear that they were using some kind of dope vintage amps and cabs and going for these awesome tones and blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it we probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference anyway. With the current state of this type of technology, if they want a certain tone, they'll be able to find it.

Based on what Mark's bass tech has posted on Reddit, they are modeling the bass settings directly after Jerry Finn's actual amps, literally, and it comes up with an almost exact replication of the tones they have used in the past. If they're going that far for the live show, I'm sure they're doing something similar in the studio.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

One of my friends who is a pretty successful recording engineer/producer swears by re-amping, there's no doubt it can "dial in" the tones more accurately and it takes away a lot of variables, but it does just feel less like a real recording experience to me haha. I'm a curmudgeon though.

That being said, as for all the talk of presets and everything, there is a 0% chance they would just use a preset and then say "that's that!" You can still tweak tones, EQ, add effects, put it through the entire mixing/mastering process, whatever. It's just the initial sound. A random dude trying out a Mesa Boogie amp isn't going to sound exactly like Enema era Tom either.

I would prefer to hear that they were using some kind of dope vintage amps and cabs and going for these awesome tones and blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it we probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference anyway. With the current state of this type of technology, if they want a certain tone, they'll be able to find it.

Based on what Mark's bass tech has posted on Reddit, they are modeling the bass settings directly after Jerry Finn's actual amps, literally, and it comes up with an almost exact replication of the tones they have used in the past. If they're going that far for the live show, I'm sure they're doing something similar in the studio.

Sure. But put a bow on a turd its still a turd. Shit in shit out. 

• Crab 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Fap God said:

Where is this “reamping” idea coming from? Sounds like pure speculation to me. And what is it exactly? Sounds like it would be pointless to do, kind of like you said at the end of your comment. 

Just saw this - but to break it down simpler:

You record a direct input of your guitar.  Next, you play that direct input back and output it into a real amp, while simultaneously recording that at the same time. In your DAW, you would see one track with your already recorded direct input, and in parallel you’d see another track being populated with a recording of the amp+effects as it’s playing. Afterwards you may have to adjust if there’s like a 6ms offset/delay.

There are many benefits of doing this.  Obviously nailing down the tone is the biggest advantage. You can just loop and playback indefinitely until the effects and knobs are all perfect. You can also reuse the same track and record it on multiple amplifiers (for example, one with a Marshall + one with a Mesa Boogie). This saves equipment costs.  But another crucial advantage that is rarely brought up is the fact that you can warp the direct input recording to make the notes align perfectly to the tempo and snap onto the grid.  This gives it perfect timing.  You can also splice together different takes.  You may also use pitch correction software to perfect a few notes that are off tune. Once the direct input track is perfected, you run that through with the reamping and it sounds flawless.  (This contributes greatly to what makes album tracks sound like perfect playing). Whereas, if you were to do the time warping and splicing afterwards, it would be very noticeable and not very good sounding at all. Particularly an amps background hum would sound weird if time warped, pitch corrected, or stitched together to another take. Another example would be a chorus or flanger effect being out of sync between 2 snippets.  The delays and reverbs likely wouldn’t carry that well either. Running the modified direct input through all of the amp+effects makes it all sound like one homogeneous take and you can’t really tell what parts of the direct input were originally spliced, time warped, or pitch corrected in most cases. The amp+effects sort of flatten that all out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bojangles said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but this just seems like a fan added page? It has no extra info than what we all have and the page was made by some guy who just does reviews online. Is this site known for being in the loop and knowing release dates or something?

2 hours ago, High Value Coight said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but this just seems like a fan added page? It has no extra info than what we all have and the page was made by some guy who just does reviews online. Is this site known for being in the loop and knowing release dates or something?

Not sure to be honest, i found it while googling today lol and figured i should share it

• Like 1