One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

I have a thing in my head where I think I've heard bits and snippets of Mark and Tom complaining about doing press.  Maybe this "strategy" is something to keep Tom happy?

I could be totally wrong, but for some reason I have a memory of them saying things about it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I have a thing in my head where I think I've heard bits and snippets of Mark and Tom complaining about doing press.  Maybe this "strategy" is something to keep Tom happy?

I could be totally wrong, but for some reason I have a memory of them saying things about it.

Yeah I do remember Mark saying how much press sucks. You spend your days off on tour sitting in a hotel room answering the same questions over and over. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan_ said:

Yeah I do remember Mark saying how much press sucks. You spend your days off on tour sitting in a hotel room answering the same questions over and over. 

I doubt anyone likes doing that stuff...All I'm talking about is like a Rolling Stone interview or something. Not rando local radio station interviews to sell tickets

• Like 2

I agree. It would have made sense to do some kind of first leg of the tour sort of reunion themed press, with very little splashing explaining the reuniond to some selected media, and then, when the album approaches, some press about the upcoming record. For example.

It's not like they have to splash it all over the press, at this point they don't have the obligation to do it, and it will work anyways.

Also, I think they are doing some shit in the background. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have done some press with some big magazine this tour, and the stuff is just under ambargo until they have planned to unveil all the shit. And, to me, the same thing is happening with what I'm feeling about a documentary/live set being done with this world tour.

• Like 1

Yeah I think the "no press" thing was obviously calculated, just not sure to what extent. I thought Travis's injury just pushed back some grand plan at the time, but it doesn't seem like that was the case.

We know that both breakups were at least partially due to "The Blink Machine," they have all talked for almost 20 years now about how much they hate being a cog in the machine and having to do mind-numbing press and being in agent/manager/label discussions and all of the things that had to do with Blink the *company* rather than Blink the band.

So I feel like when they reunited they probably agreed to scale all that stuff way back this time. ESPECIALLY now that so much press just gets devoured by idiotic social media, clickbait, little pieces of things being taken out of context, etc.

I don't want to make this a "cancel culture" thing, but if some Blink magazine interview from their heyday happened now, with an absurd joke about Tom fucking his own dad or whatever, it would immediately spread across the clickbait social media dorks as "Millennials, time to finally throw out your elementary school boy band posters, because in the year of our lord 2023 these problematic faves are in favor of incest, and hunnie that is NOT ok"

I don't know how much that type of thing is on their minds, but press just doesn't work the same way it did back then. The currency in media isn't an interesting story or funny quote, it's controversy and rage clicks. I'm hoping we'll get a huge tell-all type of magazine interview soon, but right now they seem content and successful with their own little social media updates and a shockingly upgraded live show.

• Like 5

I don't think you're wrong about the "blink machine" stuff @Champ182 but I'm still fucking annoyed these guys act like doing normal band activities is sooooooooo stressful and sooooooo difficult. 

I kind of think Mark views his Discord as the way he's giving back and informing the fans so he doesn't have to do interviews.  Might be wrong but it's my theory lol.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Like surely they will eventually explain how Tom got back in the fold and how and why they started playing together again? I thought they had grand plans for a documentary and some kind of themed album (song title Edging still makes no sense?)

At least they sound better live and actually like each other now. The little things lol

$$$$$$🤑🤑🤑💵💰💰💰💵🤑🤑🤑🤑$$$$$$

^ why would you expect them to explain anything

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I don't think you're wrong about the "blink machine" stuff @Champ182 but I'm still fucking annoyed these guys act like doing normal band activities is sooooooooo stressful and sooooooo difficult. 

I kind of think Mark views his Discord as the way he's giving back and informing the fans so he doesn't have to do interviews.  Might be wrong but it's my theory lol.

I think you're spot on

1 hour ago, Dylan_ said:

When you’re as large as blink and selling out an entire world wide tour, you don’t have to do the press for local markets to help the promoter which that sucks especially on your where your day is a scheduled work day before the show.

you can just go directly to the largest publication like rolling stone give them all the details which every other publication will pick up and be done with it.

The blink machine is just so awful, yet they choose to do a GIGANTIC world tour first thing back?

Tom's the only one who has ever complained about the machine and that was just an excuse for him to go full egomaniac and try to surpass blink by himself (see AVA fail)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I doubt anyone likes doing that stuff...All I'm talking about is like a Rolling Stone interview or something. Not rando local radio station interviews to sell tickets

The best move would do an exclusive with Sasha from Blink Online.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, thongrider said:

The best move would do an exclusive with Sasha from Blink Online.

That happened right after I discovered this place and it was so fucking absurd and ridiculous and stupid that I knew I had to stay forever. Haha

• Like 1