One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

10 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Some of our board producers explain this to me.  How much further do we have to go?

From my limited knowledge, mixing takes a while, could be another month before the things finished?  Are professionals faster at this than me mixing on garage band or are they slower and more precise and take longer?

8 minutes ago, Cum Back Tom said:

Some of our board producers explain this to me.  How much further do we have to go?

From my limited knowledge, mixing takes a while, could be another month before the things finished?  Are professionals faster at this than me mixing on garage band or are they slower and more precise and take longer?

It takes as long as it needs but these are professionals. It’s literally their job to do it. They’ll be working full time at it to get it done unlike you who’ll be doing it in spare time so it’ll definitely be a lot quicker.

1-2 days on each song maybe? 

15 minutes ago, High Value Cum said:

It takes as long as it needs but these are professionals. It’s literally their job to do it. They’ll be working full time at it to get it done unlike you who’ll be doing it in spare time so it’ll definitely be a lot quicker.

Yeah and then it’ll be reviewed and remixed if needed and so on until everyone is 100% and then mastering and everything else after. 
August or so, I guess?

18 minutes ago, High Value Cum said:

Unlike me?  Grimes made an album on Garage band that took off, as will I.  You just wait and see Coight.  I don't forget those that helped me along the way on my #journey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt. said:

Yeah and then it’ll be reviewed and remixed if needed and so on until everyone is 100% and then mastering and everything else after. 
August or so, I guess?

Maybe. If Travis is producing might streamline the rest of the process? Don’t really know.

6 minutes ago, Cum Back Tom said:

Unlike me?  Grimes made an album on Garage band that took off, as will I.  You just wait and see Coight.  I don't forget those that helped me along the way on my #journey.

I’ve heard your stuff. I know the skys the limit for you! But just for now it’s a hobby and not a job. One day though, one day…

1 hour ago, Cum Back Tom said:

To be clear, I have no idea how different the process is for an actual professional band.

HOWEVER - My band is having our upcoming album mixed as we speak, our mixing engineer usually does at least one full initial mix per day. Then we go back and forth with tweaks and changes (which take a lot less time than the initial mix) and it usually takes about 3-4 rounds of sending him notes and him sending us back an updated mix to get everything just right. I imagine it could be done faster if we were all in person in a studio rather than sending notes back and forth from different cities.

When does the tour start back up? I'd guess they could easily be done mixing by next week if they really wanted to. Then mastering is done with less band input, and that process can also be done even quicker.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kibbles said:

They've been mixing along the way, Aaron mixed Anthem 3 months ago. All the songs on ASCAP are completely done for example.

This wouldn’t surprise me either tbh. Some minor tweaking to these songs already done for flow with the final album but yeah. I’d say a few are definitely done.

• Like 1

mixing really varies by engineer but it’s a pretty quick process. in the past, blink has sent their mixes off to people like tom lord alge or neal avron. lately travis has been sending his stuff to a guy in nashville named adam hawkins (he mixed MGK and i wouldn’t be surprised to see his name in the credits of this one). here’s an interview about his process:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-machine-gun-kelly-concert-aliens

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, boxelder said:

mixing really varies by engineer but it’s a pretty quick process. in the past, blink has sent their mixes off to people like tom lord alge or neal avron. lately travis has been sending his stuff to a guy in nashville named adam hawkins (he mixed MGK and i wouldn’t be surprised to see his name in the credits of this one). here’s an interview about his process:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-machine-gun-kelly-concert-aliens

Whoa this is awesome and is actually gonna help me know how to communicate better with my band’s mixing engineer too haha

45 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Whoa this is awesome and is actually gonna help me know how to communicate better with my band’s mixing engineer too haha

sound on sound (and mix online) are super for learning about the recording process, and i’m just a fan lol!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cum Back Tom said:

It doesn't have to be a long process per se. Plus, I'm assuming they have some bounces done so I don't think they have to mix the whole thing from now.Then, after that, they have to master it, but that's a lighter process.

At this point I hope they don't fall into that modern compressed approach feldmann-like. I would love to hear some separation and consistence as they mixed and mastered Enema, TOYPAJ and Untitled.

• Like 1