One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

5 hours ago, Coightstanza said:

Didn’t Tom say they wrote some deeper shit for this album? Most ambitious or some shit?

Tom has described every album he’s done since WDNTW as the most ambitious thing he’s ever done

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Tom has described every album he’s done since WDNTW as the most ambitious thing he’s ever done

And how many of them were an albums worth of songs that sounded like Edging? That’s all I meant that I don’t think we’re just going to get an album full of songs like that just because one of them was.

• Like 1

I think this album will be sick.  I don’t care if they have a track record of over hyping - I genuinely believe them this go around.

They all knew what the hell they were getting themselves into with each other when entering the studio.  Tom’s made it clear he likes to push limits.  Mark’s made it clear that blink’s legacy sound is important.  Travis has made it clear he’s Travis.  

If there’s been any point of tension, I feel like they’ve just said “Yeah I thought you’d say that”.  “Figured you’d pull an AvA thing here.” “Figured you’d make this go Enema style”.  As opposed to “Hey.. stop what you’re doing, because if you don’t stop, I’m going to let you know how insecure I am about you taking it even further in that direction. So now I’m just going to pull even harder in my direction and make us all hate each other”.

I’d say right now, Tom & Mark know the middle ground and trust each other that it will hover there.  Some songs will be 50/50, others will be 60/40 in either Tom or Mark’s direction.  Tom will likely have his 70/30 for one song and maybe Mark will get his.

But having that trust will give them breathing room to focus on quality and creativity while being on the same page, as opposed to adding something lackluster just to compete over style.  I have a feeling they will grow the music in a new direction that will have new things that differ from all of their prior catalogs.  That’s the stuff I’m most interested in.  They pushed Nine into new territory, but it wasn’t the best territory imo.  Sounded like Triple A compared to the Major Leagues. 

If there’s one opportunity for them to actually deliver on something great, this is probably the best shot they have of proving they still have “it”.  It may be their last opportunity.  So yeah, sick record incoming.  (I just think they’ll still make us wait too long again).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

And how many of them were an albums worth of songs that sounded like Edging? That’s all I meant that I don’t think we’re just going to get an album full of songs like that just because one of them was.

tbh I’m absolutely ripped at a wedding right now, have no fucking idea what you said

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So when are we thinking the next song drops?

I was hoping it was today since the tour was supposed to start tomorrow (I think?). No idea what they might be planning now though. Do we know how many shows were cancelled? Are all the shows on hold until May or whenever the US tour starts??

I really hope for two things for this album:

1. They make the album they want to make and have fun with it. No preset expectations for what it should sound like or trying too hard, just let it be genuine.

2. Hopefully some instrumental/experimental shit. The live outro to Down has become one of my favourite hits they do because they can all fuck around and riff off each other. I hope Tom still can bring that creative energy to the table. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Release Some Shit said:

No, I don't think so.  All he said along those lines was "I'm so excited to see how excited everyone is about Edging, because wait till you hear what else we have. This one was definitely the fun upbeat song, we have some of our most progressive stuff ever made yet"

Something along those lines.  But progressive was the word he used pretty sure.

That's never a good sign.