One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

I think more than any other point in their career a surprise album release is more likely than ever. If they are doing that it was the plan all along and why there’s been no press. I don’t necessarily think that’s what’s happening but the pieces would be there for this album.

- blink is massive legacy act now with massive anticipation around the album and surprise album releases are pretty much reserved for the biggest artists

- no press since being a band again

- tour sold out instantly not much left to gain from album marketing other than hype for the tour, which is just dependent on the music being actually good

- what happened with neighborhoods and I could totally see mark conditionally saying I’m not really addressing the blink reunion until we’ve straight up released the album.

also would be kind of wild if they released two albums worth of material. The track list Travis posted had 21 tracks on it and brain candy wasn’t even on that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I think more than any other point in their career a surprise album release is more likely than ever. If they are doing that it was the plan all along and why there’s been no press. I don’t necessarily think that’s what’s happening but the pieces would be there for this album.

- blink is massive legacy act now with massive anticipation around the album and surprise album releases are pretty much reserved for the biggest artists

- no press since being a band again

- tour sold out instantly not much left to gain from album marketing other than hype for the tour, which is just dependent on the music being actually good

- what happened with neighborhoods and I could totally see mark conditionally saying I’m not really addressing the blink reunion until we’ve straight up released the album.

also would be kind of wild if they released two albums worth of material. The track list Travis posted had 21 tracks on it and brain candy wasn’t even on that

Speakerboxxx/Love Below but think blink.

Mark & Tom couldn't resolve their issues (behind closed doors) and released an epic 2 piece album.

Boxcar/+44 should have been this anyway.

• Like 1

one other thing is the customer service thing was about shipping vinyl on April 14th. Unless they did turn in on Jan 31st which definitely doesn’t seem to be the case, I wouldn’t read into the April 14th date at all. It’s probably just a placeholder that they put in the system when they set up the preorders in October and hasn’t been updated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotNow said:

one other thing is the customer service thing was about shipping vinyl on April 14th. Unless they did turn in on Jan 31st which definitely doesn’t seem to be the case, I wouldn’t read into the April 14th date at all. It’s probably just a placeholder that they put in the system when they set up the preorders in October and hasn’t been updated.

april 14th what year tho

• Haha 1

Generally, all bands have to announce the album a few months before it comes out because of the pre-orders, but blink have already done the pre-order thing back in october so anything is possible. The hype was crazy when Edging dropped out of nowhere, if they did this again but with an album i'd expect the same kind of hype, but, on the other hand, we have Rubin who said that a new song is coming out soon, so I think it's far more likely that they'll release a song and then the album will come out a few weeks after that.
If they want to promote something, they're going to have to do it next month.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

It's interesting that this Dan Book character just dropped in out of nowhere, up until this past week the only people we've known were working on the album were Aaron Rubin and Kevin Thrush, right?

I’m sure there’s a whole gaggle of people working on it.

• Like 1

Thinking that blink will release the album without any notice/announcement is just another way to hurt us again.

Surely nobody knew that they were in the studio last year and a single was ready to be released last october, so anything would seem possible, but I don't find many recent cases of abruptly released albums.

There are instead many examples of albums announced surprisingly (like blink did). F.e. Metallica announced - without any notice - on the last 28th november the upcoming 72 seasons, to be released on the 14th april.

24 minutes ago, Frank Woods said:

Thinking that blink will release the album without any notice/announcement is just another way to hurt us again.

Surely nobody knew that they were in the studio last year and a single was ready to be released last october, so anything would seem possible, but I don't find many recent cases of abruptly released albums.

There are instead many examples of albums announced surprisingly (like blink did). F.e. Metallica announced - without any notice - on the last 28th november the upcoming 72 seasons, to be released on the 14th april.

Lol trying to tie Metallica into blink is funny. Metallica is a well oiled machine and they still make real music and don’t use backing tracks. I see no similarities 

I’ve heard enough that the album is done and the band is in a good place. I’m not worried about that.

My guess is single and album announcement before the tour and album to drop in summer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BanJan said:

Lol trying to tie Metallica into blink is funny. Metallica is a well oiled machine and they still make real music and don’t use backing tracks. I see no similarities 

And you’re the authority on “real” music? Lol. Fuck Metallica imo 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, The Watcher on the Wall said:

I will laugh my ass off at anyone who’s a big blink fan and wants to look down on Metallica. That’s some of the silliest shit I ever heard. I don’t even listen to metallica but I surely respect them. I can’t really respect songs like Edging and backing tracks, I’m sorry. Still love blink but I’m gonna talk shit about stuff like that, I’m sorry 

8 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

I loved Hardwired, but yeah they haven't been great in ages.  Their golden age was decades ago and created a lot of insecure basement dwellers.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

It's interesting that this Dan Book character just dropped in out of nowhere, up until this past week the only people we've known were working on the album were Aaron Rubin and Kevin Thrush, right?

book was added to the songwriting credits for edging after the fact, like a few days later. that was the first time i’d heard of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Nick Long has writing credits on Edging. He wrote with Travis on the MGK records. 

• Like 1