Edging Song Thread (song has leaked!)

Ghent

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I'm a big fan of this song. It's growing on me with every listen.

But if this was a Skiba era track it would be getting shredded.

It really reminds me of Cali in general, the song topic and the chorus especially. 

• Like 2

I'm okay with the song, I'm not blown away, and I was expecting more guitars in the mix, but it's fine.

It's just great to have Tom back and I'm sure the next single will be crucial because it'll give us an idea of the direction they're taking with the album. With this song you can't really figure out what blink will sound like now because it's a weird choice. But I think we're gonna have to accept that the over production and the metallic aututone are not going to leave us.

Someone please tell me what Mark says before the word daydream in the bridge. I'm losing my mind because I don't understand it haha

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yodda said:

I appreciate Mark getting creative with backing vocals and counter-melodies 
recalls What's my Age Again? a little bit

this is about the best thing about this song.

otherwise wholly agree with everyone’s sentiments. let me preface this by saying that i don’t care what any of this sounds like — it’s just nice to see tom and mark singing together again! but honestly it’s not very different than your average skiba era song — it could’ve been a deep cut from cali deluxe which i abhor — and it’s surprisingly generic. it’s not taking risks like the best work i used to expect from them (the sound on untitled/neighborhoods) but that’s okay. it is surprisingly middle of the road for a comeback single. there are a lot of jarring production issues like the ultra processed vocals burying the rest of the instruments. and i’m sure there’s spots on the album that are better but travis’s drums are shockingly bland too.

again though, i don’t really mind what this band sounds like at this point in time or anymore, the point is that it’s great to have them together again. it feels more genuine than last time, and i’ll take an EDGING over an UAN anyway (something closer to the sound i want from them, but disjointed and messy all the same). i do really like mark’s verse and his lyricism on EDGING, and like @yoddasaid the backing vocals.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

It really reminds me of Cali in general, the song topic and the chorus especially. 

Definitely. It really doesn't feel that different to what blink has released since Tom left. Lots of repetition etc.

I do really enjoy it but I loved everything Skiba era as well. Feels like a Mark song for sure.

• Like 2

Song kinda blows. Love them, don’t really care tbh but feels like a forgettable Cali/Nine era song. 

Im just not a fan of Travis’s production at all, Feldmann disciple. Still beautiful to hear them both on the track - but if we complained about Nine/Cali, have to feel the same about these elements here 

• Like 5

Just now, _Bagel said:

Song kinda blows. Love them, don’t really care tbh but feels like a forgettable Cali/Nine era song. 

Im just not a fan of Travis’s production at all, Feldmann disciple. Still beautiful to hear them both on the track - but if we complained about Nine/Cali, have to feel the same about these elements here 

Yeah for sure - Tom better have some decent guitar work on this album or I’m gonna flip tables. I need some fuckin’ guitars man come on!

• Like 5

Just now, Kay said:

Yeah for sure - Tom better have some decent guitar work on this album or I’m gonna flip tables. I need some fuckin’ guitars man come on!

We’re not moody cunts, just realistic cunts x maye; if I don’t hear an arpeggio I’m gonna kick a baby 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I was expecting the song to start with a huge riff, not Dumpweed style because it would have been too much, but at least a riff like Natives. We need more guitars DIO SANTO (this is me swearing in italian).

But I'm already coming to terms with this upbeat, weird song. 

• Like 8

It's a cool and upbeat first release which I think is the vibe they were going for instead of something dark or depressing. I think the problem is that after such a long hiatus we all wanted more of an Up All Night type comeback to see how far their work together has come, but I guess we will just have to wait until the album for that.

With that being said, the song is definitely not their best but it was awesome to hear them singing together again. Liked a lot of the lyrics, but even after 10+ listens it just felt like there was something missing. But I'm more happy than disappointed because it feels great to have the real blink around in 2022. I'm very confident that the album as a whole will be way better than what we heard today.

• Like 3