Edging Song Thread (song has leaked!)

Ghent

They are just having fun and enjoying life and the rebuilding of their friendship. Song and video are upbeat and funny but lyrics have some serious meaning (they let down their fans and left them brokenhearted, so better fix everything). We aren't talking about a pure joke song like Fuck a Dog, or a comical video like First Date. And their humour will always be part of theirself: even during the untitled tour/interviews they were doing the same old jokes.

I'm sure that the next one song/video will be way more serious. This time they needed something in their confort zone, to make us and them feel at home.

• Like 4

Tom acts super serious and pretentious and you complain 'they aren't fun anymore, they take themselves too seriously now"

Tom & blink act super silly and fun again and it's "they aren't being serious at all, they are too old for dick jokes, I want another I Miss You"

..even though Tom has even said this was the fun poppy song of the album himself

Can't win 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Free burgers if Vote Jan said:

Tom acts super serious and pretentious and you complain 'they aren't fun anymore, they take themselves too seriously now"

Tom & blink act super silly and fun again and it's "they aren't being serious at all, they are too old for dick jokes, I want another I Miss You"

..even though Tom has even said this was the fun poppy song of the album himself

Can't win 🤷‍♂️

Fair point. But how about good songs, with funny videos, the formula that worked before. I’m trying to give Edging a chance but I’m not gonna call it a good song 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Free burgers if Vote Jan said:

Can't win 🤷‍♂️

Of course you can't win if a fangroup want different things, and you definitely won't win if you try to cater to a fangroup thinking they want the same thing, something I feel like they've been trying to do the last years.

44 minutes ago, Grandpa Reefer said:

Fair point. But how about good songs, with funny videos, the formula that worked before. I’m trying to give Edging a chance but I’m not gonna call it a good song 

It's not my favorite song, but I've been enjoying it picturing it as a middle-tier song of the album.  The video, jokes, enthusiasm are really refreshing too after shit for so many years.

It's actually one of the better songs of the last 15 years for them if you let go of some of the expectations

Can't see a reason to not be thrilled right now other than worrying Edging is the pinnacle of the album.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:48 AM, theedge00 said:

Something I don't fully understand is that Blink apparently still want the general audience to perceive them as a juvenile/teenage/poppy band. Which is strange as I thought they wanted to get rid off that image.

I mean, by releasing a song like Edging as the first comeback song in 10 years, it seems like the band still felt insecure about releasing a 'serious' song. Like, will people still remember who we are, if we don't release a song with a sexual reference in the name...

Yeah this is really interesting and unexpected, but I actually think it's a sign that for once they are actually COMFORTABLE in their own skin again. For years and years Tom was sooo insecure about Blink being perceived as a joke band for little kids, they were all jealous and paranoid with each other and usually spoke in pre-rehearsed soundbytes about each other, and most of the time it seemed like they desperately wanted the world to view them as the guys who grew up and now have Thoughts About The World™️

Mark obviously tried to force Blink back into poppy sunshiney radio music again during the Skiba/Feldy era but it came across a little bit desperate (in my opinion) and never quite felt authentic without Tom, especially when Tom was replaced by a guy who had been the opposite of poppy/sunshiney for his entire career.

I'll be really interested in reading interviews with them about this reunion because they really seem to be relaxed and healthy with their relationships this time. Clearly Tom's ego and insecurity have calmed wayyyy down, and Mark seems to have found a way to trust Tom and let bygones be bygones. I also wonder if another part of it is the fact that their kids are all basically grown up by now. They have way more freedom in their personal lives to spend time shooting the shit and goofing around like they did in the old days. For years they had to communicate via managers or prearranged meetings, now the vibe already seems more like they're getting together to drink some beers and sit in lawn chairs in the backyard every weekend haha.

Huge disclaimer - obviously we've barely even seen them together yet haha so who knows what is really happening, but for some mystical reason it immediately seems real, like they have a renewed acceptance about each other and who they are. They're middle aged dudes who have been humbled by time and circumstances and somehow came to the realization that their relationship was important enough to outweigh any bullshit that kept them apart. That's how I view the dick jokes and goofy promo stuff and funny video. It's not because they're scared of being serious, it's because they're finally secure in who they are and said "fuck it, whatever happens let's at least go out and have fun again."

...oh yeah and Travis is there too.

• Like 4

There’s some Blink artwork at Venice Beach and a guy in a bunny suit shooting the alternative video for Edging. We just got asked to be in it and apparently they’ll be a skywriter plane drawing a dick in the sky soon. We also got some free posters.

EDIT: Trying to upload pictures but the files are too large. Not done this in years, can’t remember what I used to do. Here’s a Twitter link: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I keep rewinding it to that "Nightmare Daydreams" part by Mark with Tom in the background yelling "oh NO".  That, "GET THE ROPE X4", and the prechoruses are probably my favorite blink moments since DED.  Genuinely. 

Not to mention the extended ending, "EVERY DAY, It's a Wasssteee, wanna play?" This would never happen during the Feldmann era and it's so refreshing for them to loosen the grip a bit on the creativity.  Tom with the FUcked her in ChuUuRCh line is so silly, but another example.

I'm just going to assume "Wanna play?" is like a take on "want to play this fucked up love game?" type of thing, not how silly it sounds otherwise.

Also going to assume "hanging me quick, when I'm back from the dead" is Meta Tom on returning.

I will like Cali more in time as more OG blink music is released, but looking back on it and listening it's all just hard to enjoy without Tom at the least on guitar.  But I am a guitar guy, so if you don't need that, then there are definitely enough moments, especially vocally on there.

• Love 1
  • Crab 1

10 minutes ago, No Burgers, For You -Jan said:

I keep rewinding it to that "Nightmare Daydreams" part by Mark with Tom in the background yelling "oh NO".  That, "GET THE ROPE X4", and the prechoruses are probably my favorite blink moments since DED.  Genuinely. 

Not to mention the extended ending, "EVERY DAY, It's a Wasssteee, wanna play?" This would never happen during the Feldmann era and it's so refreshing for them to loosen the grip a bit on the creativity.  Tom with the FUcked her in ChuUuRCh line is so silly, but another example.

I'm just going to assume "Wanna play?" is like a take on "want to play this fucked up love game?" type of thing, not how silly it sounds otherwise.

Also going to assume "hanging me quick, when I'm back from the dead" is Meta Tom on returning.

I will like Cali more in time as more OG blink music is released, but looking back on it and listening it's all just hard to enjoy without Tom at the least on guitar.  But I am a guitar guy, so if you don't need that, then there are definitely enough moments, especially vocally on there.

LOL you’re on crack. This song is a leftover from the Feldmann era and it’s obvious. 

• Wow 1
  • Crab 1

10 minutes ago, Grandpa Reefer said:

LOL you’re on crack. This song is a leftover from the Feldmann era and it’s obvious. 

Nah, it sounds a lot better to me.  There are SOME similarities, with the lyrics and tradeoff, wish there was no similarities, but if California didn't exist for 6+ years or whatever in our face, same song every time, it wouldn't even be noticeable.

I mean most importantly, Tom sounds like Tom, to me (for his respected age).

It's not going to be my favorite blink song, and the new album would be a failure to me if it was the best off that, but I don't see how you can't find any redeeming qualities to it.  

It really does have a blink vibe to it watching the video and all, just not super intricate deep progressive material but they've said they weren't going for that.  Could it be bit better? Yes.  Could the guitars be louder and the chorus wider?  Yes.  Could the video be better? Probably not.  Could vocals sound more how we would expect and want Mark & Tom in 2022?  Mark, maybe, but probably not Tom, tbh.  That little breakdown is great though, could take 10 songs of that easily and be satisfied.

I mean, I don't really need to elaborate why Tom leading the way so much feels so much more authentic to blink than any Feldmann era song.  

• Like 1
  • Pickle 1