UNRELEASED DOCUMENTARY IS BEING STREAMED LIVE RIGHT NOW

madgaz182

you can also kind of see why they might not have wanted it released. as much as i appreciate it from a fan and historian standpoint, there's a weird undercurrent of sadness running though the footage, especially towards the end. mark's always said the mood on that tour was dour and while that's not SUPER visible, there's an unusual feeling to the proceedings.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, boxelder said:

you can also kind of see why they might not have wanted it released. as much as i appreciate it from a fan and historian standpoint, there's a weird undercurrent of sadness running though the footage, especially towards the end. mark's always said the mood on that tour was dour and while that's not SUPER visible, there's an unusual feeling to the proceedings.

Would you know that if you watched it in January 2005 though? I probably wouldn’t, perhaps that’s naivety though. I think our knowledge of the full situation affects our perception. I don’t see a lot of it as too different from TUC 1&2 except for another layer of maturity to their personalities. 

edit: in case there were aspects I missed, I was just glancing occasionally in the background not believing it to be authentic. I’ve downloaded the YouTube video to make sure I get the chance to fully dive in.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Would you know that if you watched it in January 2005 though? I probably wouldn’t, perhaps that’s naivety though. I think our knowledge of the full situation affects our perception. I don’t see a lot of it as too different from TUC 1&2 except for another layer of maturity to their personalities. 

you're correct, i see your point: perhaps it's a projection based on what we know now. i still feel like the footage feels a little road-weary and "down"

• Like 1

I mean, it's good to see both sides of them?  Both the immature fun we all love them for but also the mature deeper side that made them so much more of a band and really stapled them as 2000s icons?  Gives them more depth than a Goldfinger/Good Charlotte/Yellowcard type of band?

Idk, I think the Untitled thing is overblown.  Like, yes, it strayed from their 'usual' sound and dick joke humor. THAT'S what differentiated them from just being a tired act..

Call me crazy, but I bet half of us aren't still fans to this day if they just made 10 TOYPAJs.  We'd still like them, but the variety is what keeps me invested in them.  Like Ch/DR-Enema/Toypaj-Neighborhoods-now is so much cool variety to pick from. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

you're correct, i see your point: perhaps it's a projection based on what we know now. i still feel like the footage feels a little road-weary and "down"

2 hours ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Would you know that if you watched it in January 2005 though?

I feel like this is WAY cooler to see now than it would have been in 2005. I do sense that it's definitely more road weary and "down" right off the bat, I mean before they even start the tour they're talking about how hard it is to go on the road and how awful it feels to leave their families, Mark is sick, they seem rattled, and the knowledge of what comes later makes it even MORE foreboding. You can totally feel that things aren't quite right, just from the footage.

I can't remember my literary terms, is it "dramatic irony" when the audience knows something that will happen but the characters don't? Whatever it's called, this doc is obviously soaking in it haha.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I feel like this is WAY cooler to see now than it would have been in 2005. I do sense that it's definitely more road weary and "down" right off the bat, I mean before they even start the tour they're talking about how hard it is to go on the road and how awful it feels to leave their families, Mark is sick, they seem rattled, and the knowledge of what comes later makes it even MORE foreboding. You can totally feel that things aren't quite right, just from the footage.

I can't remember my literary terms, is it "dramatic irony" when the audience knows something that will happen but the characters don't? Whatever it's called, this doc is obviously soaking in it haha.

They were going across the world for these tours for months at a time. On the us tour you can at least bring your family to some dates. Don’t underestimate the impact time zones will have on your ability to keep up with your family, if you’re in Europe you’ll only have a couple hour window a day in PST to contact them. Plus ability to communicate is just completely different than 2004. Not only was a phone call the only real option (Skype was starting to emerge but would barely work cross continent), it was also still really expensive to do an international call.

Now you have them with their families nearly out of the house plus modern communication it’s way less burdensome to travel the world.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, boxelder said:

wonder how this leaked. maybe the production house working on LA Originals or whatever that netflix doc about estevan  oriol had the footage and someone leaked it

guarantee this is what happened. that netflix thing probably sourced a few shots from this doc and someone made the ballsy move of stealing it lol. 

• Like 1

Marks b hole is so tight when it comes to blink. Biggest misconception is that they don’t take themselves too seriously yet they are probably more uptight about their image than fucking Madonna.

that being said I am not super interested to watch this- I’m a weirdo but I find videos of great times long gone to not be good watches.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Great doc, they definitely looked completely depressed tho and tired, the way they described the tour and the bus, i was like shit no wonder they split up, looked gruelling! 

But they could of easily just had a rest after that tour, toms actions were definitely not justified! Especially as he didnt rest anyways, he went straight into angels and nicked the blink material 😤 

I feel for mark, i forget how big blink was during their peak and tom just throwing that shit away to be the main man is a hard pill to swallow, I dont think mark really got over that, anything after untitled just doesn't hit the same or have the quality that blink once had..

Just now, High Value Man said:

Marks b hole is so tight when it comes to blink. Biggest misconception is that they don’t take themselves too seriously yet they are probably more uptight about their image than fucking Madonna.

that being said I am not super interested to watch this- I’m a weirdo but I find videos of great times long gone to not be good watches.

Why would any band want a doc out they didnt like? Id be pissed if someone leaked my shit 

Finally just finished watching, wow I found it absolutely fascinating. It fills in such an infamous gap in the band's history, and even though there aren't any dramatic moments or long lost gold in the footage it's equally interesting to see this as a (darker and more sobering) companion to the Album Launch doc.

We saw in Album Launch how the excitement and wild creativity gave way to stress at the very end as they were going way past deadlines and then going right down to the wire, and then this picks up RIGHT where that left off. They were already exhausted, they were already missing their families, then "the Blink machine" had to start up for these gigantic worldwide tours.

(Can anyone help me out with the timeline this doc covers? Does it skip around from the album release to the end of 2004? I'm sure some historian can fill me in on when/where some of these shows were.)

Anyway, it's very easy to see how it just grinded them up, even though they were in good spirits in the footage it's immediately apparent that the wacky antics and camaraderie weren't close to what they were even a few months earlier, let alone in previous years.

I can definitely tell why they never bothered releasing this (I mean they weren't even a band by the time it was ready to be released), but I'm so thankful we get to see it now. Very interesting finally seeing them in that context.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, prankerd14 said:

Why would any band want a doc out they didnt like? Id be pissed if someone leaked my shit 

I get they might not necessarily be “happy” but I also don’t get the outrage. I’d just kind of be like “it is what it is” or I’d be like “I’m fucking mark hoppus and I just sold out a huge tour where tickets were $650. Who cares.” 

it wouldn’t keep me up all night. You see what I did there? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, High Value Man said:

I mean, they do have lyrics about fucking dogs and pirates so I will give them more credit than that for caring too much what other people think.  Mark might be uptight in some ways, and Travis is Travis, but they're still that band that influences being not too serious better than anyone else mainstream.

I think Mark is more upset about leaving millions of dollars on the table to have AvA the adventure exist, which I don't fully blame him.  It made him more uptight and controlling onwards.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

12 minutes ago, High Value Man said:

I get they might not necessarily be “happy” but I also don’t get the outrage. I’d just kind of be like “it is what it is” or I’d be like “I’m fucking mark hoppus and I just sold out a huge tour where tickets were $650. Who cares.” 

it wouldn’t keep me up all night. You see what I did there? 

haha i love you for that oli 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

(Can anyone help me out with the timeline this doc covers? Does it skip around from the album release to the end of 2004? I'm sure some historian can fill me in on when/where some of these shows were.)

i’m fairly certain it’s mainly november 30-dec 16 2004. the shots in the middle east were aug 2003 and the scattered footage of untitled recording were the same year. some of the paris footage might’ve been their first european tour of 2004 that february.

• Like 2