blink (in particular uncle tom) ruined punk rock by making simple power choard changes their style

GoodChats_OnTeamGhent

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Probably why the thing you're referencing actually has a name of a genre of it's own: pop-punk.  They didn't ruin punk rock, they just helped create and usher in an entire subgenre of that genre. 

Simply not true.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thongrider said:

Simply not true.

its getting rediclus if you play one power choard they say wow this is so much like blink, cuz blink play power choards! 

its not a blink thing to play power choards, plenty of bands in all genres have been using power choards way before any of them were even born

https://www.npr.org/2005/11/21/5021946/link-wray-father-of-the-power-chord#:~:text=Link Wray%3A Father of the Power Chord %3A NPR&text=Link Wray%3A Father of the Power Chord Link Wray is,at his home in Copenhagen.

5 hours ago, FAP said:

Honestly, it was all the blink copy cats and cringey over dramatic emo stuff that followed them that ruined “punk rock” in my eyes. 

Yes. 
To the point where you have TONS of musicians/youtubers doing "If Blink wrote 'x song'" (whatever).... they NEVER sound like Blink 182. They sound like Simple Plan or these bands that I dont even know the name... Starting Line? Good Charlote? meh
I never agree when people say "Oh, this sounds like Blink"... The only thing that ever sounded like blink to me is two albums from the Vandals (look what i almost steped in & internet dating) and the Unwritten Law album that has California Sky, TeenageSuicide, Lonesome...
MAYBE  2 or 3 songs from that portuguese band called FONZIE ("drive my vespa")

• Like 2

A lot of pop punk bands after blink just don't have a sound that sets them apart from the other pop punk bands. The only band I feel like has their own sound from 2000s and onwards are Sum 41 & New Found Glory. I find most pop punk bands sound way more like NFG than blink.

I do think there's been bands that have blink styled riffs though. The riff of Something I Call Personality by NFG sounds like it'd fit on Enema or the riff of Pull the Curtain by Sum 41 sounds like a TOYPAJ song (tbh a lot of the Underclass Hero album sounds like a blink-182 rip off). The riff of I Was a Prayer by Alkaline Trio sounds like a TOYPAJ riff too I think.

Always felt like Avril Lavigne's I Don't Have to Try sounds kinda like a blink song too. I think Travis was the drummer of that song and Deryck from Sum 41 produced that album when he was trying to rip off blink. But outside of a few riffs here and there, there's no band that even sounds close to blink outside of the blink side projects.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, saco0o said:

Yes. 
To the point where you have TONS of musicians/youtubers doing "If Blink wrote 'x song'" (whatever).... they NEVER sound like Blink 182. They sound like Simple Plan or these bands that I dont even know the name... Starting Line? Good Charlote? meh
I never agree when people say "Oh, this sounds like Blink"... The only thing that ever sounded like blink to me is two albums from the Vandals (look what i almost steped in & internet dating) and the Unwritten Law album that has California Sky, TeenageSuicide, Lonesome...
MAYBE  2 or 3 songs from that portuguese band called FONZIE ("drive my vespa")

Yea dude don’t even get me started on these Edging covers going out there. Every. Single. One. Of. Their. Voices. Are annoying and cringe as fuck, whiny as hell trying to be as nasally as possible. At some point you gotta try to have some originality. The bands that blow up and leave an imprint put their own spin on their influences, which is what blink did. The bands after them sucked ass 

• Like 1

Emo music is definitely what did pop punk in.  Nothing upbeat and happy was cool anymore and the 90s vibes were diminished.  It all started to blend together and became a bit of a conundrum because emo and pop punk technically couldn't be more different themes.

I know we make fun of kids now.. But I can't imagine being a parent during everyone's emo phases.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gan said:

I wot m8?

Can we just admit that Tom and Kurt Cobain are great guitarists, despite their lack of technical performances.  They write good shit, authentic > DragonForce.

yes, my point being that, it is, and never was a thing, that blink's thing of using power chaords alot was their unique thing, its a cringe myth that should be illegal to propagate because of how low inteligence it is 

nirvana themselves played tons of power choards, nothing wrong or right with that, its just not a thing that can be used as "their thing, that only them does and that after that everyone after is just a copy cat if they there using more than 2 power choards in one song

to clarify i brought my point in a funny way to make a point

blink is a great band and the fact that they used alot of power choards in the past theres nothing wrong with that or bad, its fine

what is problematic is ppl who are uneducated about a certain subject and decide that all of sudden they deeply know about that subject and spread out nonsense myths that then make tons of other ppl believe something thats completely off

like in this example, that if you use alot of power choards then you automaticly sound like blink and ur ripping their technique of using alot of power choard which is not something THEY only did THEY themselves, and that has been done

by plenty of bands before

they are just being unacceptably eronous about this, and they need to think harder before drawing conclusion and then acting like they've realy gotten it

11 hours ago, FAP said:

Yea dude don’t even get me started on these Edging covers going out there. Every. Single. One. Of. Their. Voices. Are annoying and cringe as fuck, whiny as hell trying to be as nasally as possible. At some point you gotta try to have some originality. The bands that blow up and leave an imprint put their own spin on their influences, which is what blink did. The bands after them sucked ass 

Haha, the Edging covers make me laugh when they're "What if this was 2001" or something. I feel like the way blink did it themselves sounds exactly like that anyway. The octave chords in the verses have Feeling This vibes and those lead guitar parts in the chorus sounds like a guitar part from Enema/TOYPAJ. The only difference is that the lead guitar is so low in the mix that I can barely hear it. I didn't even know it was there until that Sugarpill guitarist on YT covered it.

Edging couldn't sound anymore like a blink song. Literally everything about it reeks of blink-182. All these "what if" videos just sound like the generic pop punk bands from after 2005 or something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Haha, the Edging covers make me laugh when they're "What if this was 2001" or something. I feel like the way blink did it themselves sounds exactly like that anyway. The octave chords in the verses have Feeling This vibes and those lead guitar parts in the chorus sounds like a guitar part from Enema/TOYPAJ. The only difference is that the lead guitar is so low in the mix that I can barely hear it. I didn't even know it was there until that Sugarpill guitarist on YT covered it.

Edging couldn't sound anymore like a blink song. Literally everything about it reeks of blink-182. All these "what if" videos just sound like the generic pop punk bands from after 2005 or something

What really gets me is the little nerdy incels with their copy cap nasally voices saying the “I fucked her in church” line. 

• Haha 2