The Last Of Us

Scott.

Starts soon. Anyone looking forward? 

I never played the game and don’t really know what its about but looks good and I’m hyped. I know the game is really popular so hoping the tv show does it justice and kinda glad I’m going into it completely blind 

I played the game over the last few months (the first remake, not the newest one). The gameplay sucked ass and the storyline was meh. It’ll make for a good TV show and the creator did Chernobyl, so I’m pumped. Apparently this season has a higher budget ($100 mill?) than Game of Thrones did. It’s going to be dope 

• Crab 2

11 hours ago, Worst poster here said:

I played the game over the last few months (the first remake, not the newest one). The gameplay sucked ass and the storyline was meh. It’ll make for a good TV show and the creator did Chernobyl, so I’m pumped. Apparently this season has a higher budget ($100 mill?) than Game of Thrones did. It’s going to be dope 

The first one's gameplay is a little bit dated as it's still essentially the same game that came out on PS3, completely disagree on the storyline though - still holds up to this day as one of the very best ever in a game

You should try and play the second one, gameplay is much improved and modernised compared to the first - some people hated the story but to begin with but as time as gone by I think people have started to appreciate it more. 

• Like 1

The story in the first game was far superior than the second imo - they killed the game with the story in the second game, but the gameplay was obviously better.  

I found the second game a boring, repetitive mess - but the visuals were nice.  

I enjoyed the first game for sure, but I'm a little over the zombie thing. Can't say I'm overly pumped about the show, but will eventually check it out if it's supposed to be good.

Can we move on to aliens or something new yet?

6 hours ago, Low Value Boy said:

The first one's gameplay is a little bit dated as it's still essentially the same game that came out on PS3, completely disagree on the storyline though - still holds up to this day as one of the very best ever in a game

You should try and play the second one, gameplay is much improved and modernised compared to the first - some people hated the story but to begin with but as time as gone by I think people have started to appreciate it more. 

Yeah I figured the gameplay was mainly dated due to the age. The storyline I found decent but nothing special, lots of busy work and the whole thing can be summed up in a sentence or two and it did not emotionally grab me the way other games have. I didn’t care too much for the “twist” at the end either. I do want to play the 2nd one though, I’ll get it when it’s super cheap. Anyone know if season 1 of the tv show just covers the first game or both?

I know I’m probably in the minority in not thinking too highly of TLOU (I’d give it like a 7.5/10). I have learned that I don’t really care for high budget, cinematic games that try to replicate the experience of a movie. Most of the time, either the gameplay suffers or the storyline isn’t very interesting, or both. I gave up on God of War after like 5 hours because I thought the gameplay was super boring. 

it’s pretty rare a game has a great storyline. The best examples I can think of are KOTOR, The Witcher 3, MGS3, and Braid. I much prefer games that tell their stories subtly without an over reliance on cutscenes, like the Half Life series and Inside.

35 minutes ago, Scott. said:

So does this season focus on the first game or both? Has the story finished or are there more games expected?

Looks like the entire first game

https://www.joblo.com/the-last-of-us-tv-series-season-1-game/

i'll check it out if the first episode is good - but I've completely lost interest in this franchise after playing the second game. 

They fucked up The Witcher tv show so badly the lead star left the show, hope this game-to-tv show sticks to the actual source material. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roux said:

i'll check it out if the first episode is good - but I've completely lost interest in this franchise after playing the second game. 

They fucked up The Witcher tv show so badly the lead star left the show, hope this game-to-tv show sticks to the actual source material. 

Don't really get how anybody who loved the first game could hate the second game. Can understand preferring it, but not to that extreme. 

Felt like a bit of a bandwagon to me if I'm honest.

Gameplay was vastly superior in the second and I thought the unusual way they approached the story from both sides made it unique, would have been far more boring to just play a complete rehash of the first (which I think is what a lot of people wanted)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roux said:

This show has all the makings to be excellent. HBO + creator of Chernobyl + high budget + great cast + good enough source material. It’ll be an enjoyable show, I’d be surprised if they bungled it.

I have way more faith in HBO adapting shows from other mediums than any other provider. As you mentioned, Netflix fucked the dog on the Witcher, and Amazon on Wheel of Time and LOTR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Low Value Boy said:

Don't really get how anybody who loved the first game could hate the second game. Can understand preferring it, but not to that extreme. 

Felt like a bit of a bandwagon to me if I'm honest.

Gameplay was vastly superior in the second and I thought the unusual way they approached the story from both sides made it unique, would have been far more boring to just play a complete rehash of the first (which I think is what a lot of people wanted)

Spoiler

Well the story takes dramatic twists and kills off a much loved character who was pivotal to the story - not hard to understand, especially if you love the relationship between the two. 

On top of that, playing as a character you are supposed to hate and get revenge on was pure silly - they angle you to hate this person, then make you play as her for most of the game - it was poorly executed. I gave up because it was boring, repetitive and I had no emotional interest in that character at all. 

Many people had the exact feelings i did - which is why the game is so polarizing. 

The entire soul of this game is the relationship between Ellie and Joel - which is why i loved the first game. If you enjoyed it, great - but you can't discount the people that didn't for the obvious reasons mentioned above. 

Gameplay-wise, better - but I wouldn't call it vastly superior. 

55 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

I have learned that I don’t really care for high budget, cinematic games that try to replicate the experience of a movie.

have you played the Uncharted games?  I felt like those were me playing in an Indiana Jones movie and I fucking loved them.  I refuse to watch the movie with Mark Wahlberg in it.

28 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

have you played the Uncharted games?  I felt like those were me playing in an Indiana Jones movie and I fucking loved them.  I refuse to watch the movie with Mark Wahlberg in it.

Nope but I have one of them (came free on PS Plus). I’d imagine the gameplay is super similar to TLOU given that it’s the same developer and also a third person, over the shoulder shooter?

5 minutes ago, Worst poster here said:

Nope but I have one of them (came free on PS Plus). I’d imagine the gameplay is super similar to TLOU given that it’s the same developer and also a third person, over the shoulder shooter?

yep, but it's fast paced and there are puzzle sections and almost platform type sequences.  It's so fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roux said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well the story takes dramatic twists and kills off a much loved character who was pivotal to the story - not hard to understand, especially if you love the relationship between the two. 

On top of that, playing as a character you are supposed to hate and get revenge on was pure silly - they angle you to hate this person, then make you play as her for most of the game - it was poorly executed. I gave up because it was boring, repetitive and I had no emotional interest in that character at all. 

Many people had the exact feelings i did - which is why the game is so polarizing. 

The entire soul of this game is the relationship between Ellie and Joel - which is why i loved the first game. If you enjoyed it, great - but you can't discount the people that didn't for the obvious reasons mentioned above. 

Gameplay-wise, better - but I wouldn't call it vastly superior. 

Spoiled your post since it would likely spoil future seasons of the show and this is the show thread not game thread.

Spoiler

i think a lot of people revisiting the 2nd game now, after the initial shock of Joel’s death has worn off are finding they are enjoying it a lot more.

It’s still a pretty good story and the gameplay is way, way better. You should give it another go. 60fps mode on ps5 is great too.

56 minutes ago, Legit Alpha Coight said:

Spoiled your post since it would likely spoil future seasons of the show and this is the show thread not game thread.

Reveal hidden contents

i think a lot of people revisiting the 2nd game now, after the initial shock of Joel’s death has worn off are finding they are enjoying it a lot more.

It’s still a pretty good story and the gameplay is way, way better. You should give it another go. 60fps mode on ps5 is great too.

Spoiler

Not sure about the second game - but a lot of people are replaying the first game because of the just released PS5 version.   

The story in the second game doesn’t’ change so would be no point in revisiting it for me.

If you dislike/have no empathy for the Abby character (like many people did) - 70% of the game is going to be a slog. 

Be interesting to see how they approach this in the show