The Last Of Us

Scott.

I liked the episode a lot on its own, but a pattern seems to be developing that's annoying me... other than Joel and Ellie, they seem to introduce characters for an episode or two and then kill them off as soon as they've served their purpose in the narrative. It worked well enough with Tess, especially since she was the first and the Frank and Bill episode was so good that it didn't bother me, but to do the same thing yet again this episode, not only with Sam and Henry, but the main people in the KC resistance too? I don't know... it just seems lazy at this point. Like, I get that it's an apocalypse and death is a common occurrence, but they need to extend character arcs and/or find ways other than death for minor characters to part ways because if they don't, this is going to get really old really fast.

9 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I liked the episode a lot on its own, but a pattern seems to be developing that's annoying me... other than Joel and Ellie, they seem to introduce characters for an episode or two and then kill them off as soon as they've served their purpose in the narrative. It worked well enough with Tess, especially since she was the first and the Frank and Bill episode was so good that it didn't bother me, but to do the same thing yet again this episode, not only with Sam and Henry, but the main people in the KC resistance too? I don't know... it just seems lazy at this point. Like, I get that it's an apocalypse and death is a common occurrence, but they need to extend character arcs and/or find ways other than death for minor characters to part ways because if they don't, this is going to get really old really fast.

This is because they don't have enough episodes to cover the story - really, this show should have been at least 15-20 episodes - there is too much to cover and a lot of character depth to unpack. We only have a couple of episodes left. 

26 minutes ago, Roux said:

This is because they don't have enough episodes to cover the story - really, this show should have been at least 15-20 episodes - there is too much to cover and a lot of character depth to unpack. We only have a couple of episodes left. 

That's too bad. Sounds like they probably should have split this part into two seasons to do the story justice.

5 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

That's too bad. Sounds like they probably should have split this part into two seasons to do the story justice.

Two seasons would have been overkill. It’s a 15 hour story in game and that includes lengthy shootouts and zombie battles. Another 2-4 episodes would have been perfect for the show. Everybody’s fate(except Bill) is still the same in the game and the show.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

Two seasons would have been overkill. It’s a 15 hour story in game and that includes lengthy shootouts and zombie battles. Another 2-4 episodes would have been perfect for the show. Everybody’s fate(except Bill) is still the same in the game and the show.

2 seasons maybe 8 episodes each would have been ideal, or 1 season with 15 episodes - right now, it feels like I'm watching a brief overview of the story - there's very little depth. The last episode should have been fleshed out over 2 episodes imo.

55 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

Personally, I don't care how faithful the show is to the game, so if it'd make for a better story to flesh things out more or have different things happen to some characters, that's what they should do.

1 hour ago, Roux said:

2 seasons maybe 8 episodes each would have been ideal, or 1 season with 15 episodes - right now, it feels like I'm watching a brief overview of the story - there's very little depth. The last episode should have been fleshed out over 2 episodes imo.

That’s fair. Admittedly I haven’t played Pt1 in ages so I’m probably not remembering every little bit but still feels like they’re covering most of the main story points but definitely think they could use a few more episodes.

What would be your season 1 finale if they did split it in two?

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 7:08 PM, Patient #48273 said:

This is more a fault of the video game medium. It’s a survival action thriller game. People are constantly dying and you’re constantly killing people. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Personally, I don't care how faithful the show is to the game, so if it'd make for a better story to flesh things out more or have different things happen to some characters, that's what they should do.

There are a lot of people that do care and don’t want it to stray to far from the game though. People really want a faithful adaption and if you change too much then you run the risk of annoying that audience which makes up a large portion of your viewers. You can flesh things out and learn more about peoples pasts etc which I’m all for but if you keep changing what peoples fates are then it becomes a different story.

12 hours ago, Coightstanza said:

That’s fair. Admittedly I haven’t played Pt1 in ages so I’m probably not remembering every little bit but still feels like they’re covering most of the main story points but definitely think they could use a few more episodes.

What would be your season 1 finale if they did split it in two?

Yeah I've forgotten the details because I played it when it first came out and never replayed it since.

I'd definitely prefer 1 season with more episodes - but if it were to be split in half, this would be the perfect finale for the split:

Spoiler

Joel falling onto the spike

2 hours ago, Coightstanza said:

There are a lot of people that do care and don’t want it to stray to far from the game though. People really want a faithful adaption and if you change too much then you run the risk of annoying that audience which makes up a large portion of your viewers. You can flesh things out and learn more about peoples pasts etc which I’m all for but if you keep changing what peoples fates are then it becomes a different story.

I agree - straying to far from the story ruined The Witcher. But I don't think this show needs to change peoples fate, just make them more meaningful by fleshing them out over episodes. 

Spoiler

it was almost comical how the 4 of them escaped the patrol within 5-10mins screen time and only really faced any danger until the end - stuff like that is poor, at the moment - the infected don't really seem like much of a threat unlike the game.

I'm really happy with how it's going so far. 

I can see why people are confused how quickly characters come and go but it's kind of like the game.

This is Joel & Ellie's story and their relationship growing, if you had characters like Henry and Sam tagging along episode after episode it would take away from that. 

It's called The Last of Us not All of Us!

I'm glad they're not dragging it out to long, The Walking Dead did that and it became unwatchable.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roux said:

Yeah I've forgotten the details because I played it when it first came out and never replayed it since.

I'd definitely prefer 1 season with more episodes - but if it were to be split in half, this would be the perfect finale for the split:

Hide contents

Joel falling onto the spike

I agree - straying to far from the story ruined The Witcher. But I don't think this show needs to change peoples fate, just make them more meaningful by fleshing them out over episodes. 

Hide contents

it was almost comical how the 4 of them escaped the patrol within 5-10mins screen time and only really faced any danger until the end - stuff like that is poor, at the moment - the infected don't really seem like much of a threat unlike the game.

There isn’t enough of a story left after your proposed season finale to make another season. 5 more episodes maybe so yeah I definitely think more episodes would be the way. Not necessarily 15 but whatever we’re getting what we are getting. Seeing the episode names for the next 4 has me hopeful they’ll cover everything.

24 minutes ago, Low Value Boy said:

I'm really happy with how it's going so far. 

I can see why people are confused how quickly characters come and go but it's kind of like the game.

This is Joel & Ellie's story and their relationship growing, if you had characters like Henry and Sam tagging along episode after episode it would take away from that. 

It's called The Last of Us not All of Us!

I'm glad they're not dragging it out to long, The Walking Dead did that and it became unwatchable.

I feel like the bold is a big part of what people aren’t getting. Every character serves their purpose to push Joel and Ellie’s relationship to where it needs to go. They don’t need to be around for multiple eps to do that. Again if they wanted to do a couple more episodes and show some more backstory with these people that would be fine but they don’t need to follow Joel and Ellie around. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

There isn’t enough of a story left after your proposed season finale to make another season. 5 more episodes maybe so yeah I definitely think more episodes would be the way. Not necessarily 15 but whatever we’re getting what we are getting. Seeing the episode names for the next 4 has me hopeful they’ll cover everything.

There's plenty of story left after this

Spoiler

Joel and Ellie reach the mountains

Ellie meets the scavengers

Ellie gets captured

Joel rescuing Ellie

Joel & Eliie make it to Salt lake 

Captured by fireflies

Joel rescues Ellie

50 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

I feel like the bold is a big part of what people aren’t getting. Every character serves their purpose to push Joel and Ellie’s relationship to where it needs to go. They don’t need to be around for multiple eps to do that. Again if they wanted to do a couple more episodes and show some more backstory with these people that would be fine but they don’t need to follow Joel and Ellie around. 

this my point - there doesn't seem to be much of a relationship between the two. They still seem somewhat distant imo.

Spoiler

at this point in the game (meeting Henry and Sam they had almost fully bonded and Joel shows alot more emotional concern for Ellie

2 minutes ago, Roux said:

this my point - there doesn't seem to be much of a relationship between the two. They still seem somewhat distant imo.

Hide contents

at this point in the game (meeting Henry and Sam they had fully bonded and Joel shows alot more emotional concern for Ellie

I do actually agree with this, I think they do still seem a little bit distant - still nearly half the season left though so still room for that to change, they have still also had some sweet moments as well. 

I feel like I'm nitpicking though, I think they've done a fantastic job so far. 

22 minutes ago, Roux said:

There's plenty of story left after this

Hide contents

Ellie gets captured

Joel rescuing Ellie

Captured by fireflies

Joel rescues Ellie

Those aren’t hour long episodes of television though. It feels longer when you’re playing a game because you’re stealthing, scavenging etc but when its being converted to a television medium they have to make it for people who are watching, not playing.

Spoiler

1 episode:

Ellie gets captured

2nd episode:

Joel rescuing Ellie (Plus all the Ellie and David shit)

3rd episode:

Captured by fireflies

4th episode:

Joel rescues Ellie

I think you’ve just got your mind set on what the game was like since it’s what you know and not what would actually make good television which they actually have to account for. If the my made an extra 8 episodes and 50% was just filler people wouldn’t like it as much.