Revisit- Bored To Death 7 year anniversary

Chewy030

I loved Bored to Death when it first came out and one of Mark's best songs but immediately got bored of it as soon as around the time that video came out onwards.  It was a great comeback song though, a bit slow for my liking.

Respect the song, but skip for me. Or skip to the bridge. 

Definitely my favorite song of the NonTom Era, still has plenty of staying power. I was so unbelievably stoked the first time I heard it, it just felt LIKE BLINK. I thought Skiba was going to fit like a glove. That feeling didn't last for me, but I'll always have great memories of BTD. I played it dozens of times in a row when it came out haha.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BK Lounge said:

I loved Bored to Death when it first came out and one of Mark's best songs but immediately got bored of it as soon as around the time that video came out onwards.  It was a great comeback song though, a bit slow for my liking.

Respect the song, but skip for me. Or skip to the bridge. 

the bridge is just classic blink at their best.

• Like 2

Here's what I said at the time:

On 4/27/2016 at 3:37 PM, Champ182 said:

THIS is what a focused and driven modern day Blink should sound like. Hell yeah.

On 4/29/2016 at 9:42 AM, Champ182 said:

Seriously, this is exactly what I had in mind haha. Cool little touches, tasteful instrumentation, A NATURAL SOUNDING BRIDGE, instruments that sound good, damn it's nice.

On 5/2/2016 at 9:14 AM, Champ182 said:

It's a re-introduction to the band. It's them saying "fuck yeah, we can still do this, check this out." Sure, they could have written something weirder or more complex and released that as a single, but it's pretty evident that they're seeing this as a big opportunity to REALLY do Blink again. They want to be back out there in full force, and a big catchy (hopefully) hit song is the first step to doing that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

the bridge is just classic blink at their best.

California was bridge central, but Bored to Death's always felt more natural, which is why I liked it so much.  Lotta good bridges on those Cali albums though, usually the best parts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chewy030 said:

I still love the video @Cheerios4u98made for this one. 

😂 I can’t believe how much attention it got

I love this song. It was so good that it got my expectations way too high for the rest of the album, making it all a bit more disappointing lol. I hope this song doesn’t disappear forever now that Matt’s gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

looking at it today, i don’t really mind BTD, but i don’t really seek it out either. the lyrics are nonsensical (life is too short to last long, rescuing a tiger from a tree, all timers), and the video was retrograde. hammy production choices like the overdone string swells only drag it down. i remember when the song came out mostly enjoying it, but i could hear in the production then things i didn’t like… a harbinger of bad things to come. each successive pre release single was similarly disappointing — who can forget rabbit hole more or less landing with a thud? 

as everyone has said, the bridge was a huge sigh of relief after years of reunion era instrumental passages, and it remains a shining highlight. i’ve come to like california a lot over the years for its strengths, though it remains bloated and feels factory assembled. BTD was a better comeback single than UAN, but neither felt like the band we remembered.

here’s what i said then:

while i wasn't disappointed with the song at all, it seems to me like a giant step backward. blink has never really branched out of pop punk but has gotten less conventional with each album, from the dueling drum kits on ILWY to the strangeness of fighting the gravity. bored to death is a great song, and probably more focused thananything in a decade. but it's just very generic in areas.

• Like 1