Nested quoting

Looking at ancient posts, in the past you could quote a comment that quoted another comment, and the entire quoting history was preserved.

Similar to this:

Spoiler

Test 

Spoiler

Test

Spoiler

Test

Spoiler

Tom has no dick. No dick at all people 

At some point this ended.  I wanted to ask why.

1) Did the forum stop supporting this feature 

2) Or was it a setting that was purposefully turned off

I can’t say it’s good or bad. It would clutter up the forum if every post was a giant block that encapsulated everything that people could have already read.  At the same time, there were benefits in that it provided more clarity, and it likely prevented circles which made certain conversations more succinct and clear.

Is there now a setting that could support nested quoting, but still limit the amount of depth? For example, a setting that supports up to 3-4 quote levels deep.  If so, it may be beneficial to weigh the pro’s and con’s and experiment. 

Good question!

I've had a play with this, and it looks like if you use the "Quote" button underneath a post, if that post contains a quote it does seem to remove the inner quote. I'm assuming this is the default behaviour to prevent a huge series of nested quotes which could arguably be very hard to read.

That said, I do see the value in nested quotes so I've had a look through the settings available to us and as far as I can tell this isn't something you can control.

You can however force this behaviour by highlighting the contents of the post with the quote in it (including the quote) and clicking the little "Quote Selection" button that pops up underneath. Not super user friendly (especially on mobile I imagine) but it does give you a way to do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Good question!

I've had a play with this, and it looks like if you use the "Quote" button underneath a post, if that post contains a quote it does seem to remove the inner quote. I'm assuming this is the default behaviour to prevent a huge series of nested quotes which could arguably be very hard to read.

That said, I do see the value in nested quotes so I've had a look through the settings available to us and as far as I can tell this isn't something you can control.

You can however force this behaviour by highlighting the contents of the post with the quote in it (including the quote) and clicking the little "Quote Selection" button that pops up underneath. Not super user friendly (especially on mobile I imagine) but it does give you a way to do it.

Dean thanks a ton! You’re right it looks like the manual quote button can do the trick, and the folks at invision community have already been debating the pro’s and con’s. Let me give it a go

It arguably may be better if we can manually pick when to leverage it. (Would just require people to keep it going).

I wonder if users will still get notified if one of their quotes is nested a layer inside

9 minutes ago, Smooth My Balls said:
4 hours ago, Dean said:

Good question!

Expand  

Dean thanks a ton! You’re right it looks like the manual quote button can do the trick, and the folks at invision community have already been debating the pro’s and con’s. Let me give it a go

It arguably may be better since if we can manually pick when to leverage it. (Would just require people to keep it going).

I wonder if users will still get notified if one of their quotes is nested a layer inside

Test (without hitting expand first)

10 minutes ago, Smooth My Balls said:
4 hours ago, Dean said:

Good question!

It arguably may be better since if we can manually pick when to leverage it. (Would just require people to keep it going).

Test (with hitting expand)

@Dean It looks like it works if you manually hit “Expand” on the inner quote first before selecting all of it. (Otherwise there’s some conflict going on).  The first one above I didn’t expand whereas the second one I did expand 

Also, were you notified by the nested quotes above or did you just get a notification from the original?