im going to buy new stuff!

Subterranean Homesick Alien

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be brutally honest, and believe me, you're probably going to hate to hear this because it may make things harder to achieve tonewise, but you should not use tone settings.

Those settings are meant for one amp, with one guitar, at one moment in time when they tuned everything in exactly right. Therefor theres a 1 in 10000 chance those are going to give you the exact sound they claim they are going to give you.

For example, if the guitar they measured that tone with has an output of lets say line level and your guitar has an output of line level -xDB (x being a variable representing negetive decibals) that setting that they give you is going to sound a bit thin. However, if you pump up the gain, back off the treble, and up the mid, you may achieve that tone that they were trying to describe with those settings. Look at all you had to do just because their unbalanced signal coming out of their guitar is louder than yours. Now you're going to not only have that difference between guitarists, you're also going to have the difference in tone of pickups, the difference in string gauge, the diffence in guitar cable(s), the difference in preamps, the difference in amp drive circuitry. Pretty much just about everything you can think of.

On a personal note, thankfully I don't have to worry about that because of the awesome trim knob on my amp and the fact that my amp re-images it's circuitry to fit whatever I have dialed in on the wheel/knobs so it is not reletive to that one moment in time I was talking about.

Oh, and if all else fails, turn everything up to 11 and let loose.

To be brutally honest' date=' and believe me, you're probably going to hate to hear this because it may make things harder to achieve tonewise, but you should not use tone settings.

Those settings are meant for one amp, with one guitar, at one moment in time when they tuned everything in exactly right. Therefor theres a 1 in 10000 chance those are going to give you the exact sound they claim they are going to give you.

For example, if the guitar they measured that tone with has an output of lets say line level and your guitar has an output of line level -xDB (x being a variable representing negetive decibals) that setting that they give you is going to sound a bit thin. However, if you pump up the gain, back off the treble, and up the mid, you may achieve that tone that they were trying to describe with those settings. Look at all you had to do just because their unbalanced signal coming out of their guitar is louder than yours. Now you're going to not only have that difference between guitarists, you're also going to have the difference in tone of pickups, the difference in string gauge, the diffence in guitar cable(s), the difference in preamps, the difference in amp drive circuitry. Pretty much just about everything you can think of.

On a personal note, thankfully I don't have to worry about that because of the awesome trim knob on my amp and the fact that my amp re-images it's circuitry to fit whatever I have dialed in on the wheel/knobs so it is not reletive to that one moment in time I was talking about.

Oh, and if all else fails, turn everything up to 11 and let loose.[/quote']

oh....ok but i got another question why doesnt the TM60 have middle or is it called something else?

To be brutally honest' date=' and believe me, you're probably going to hate to hear this because it may make things harder to achieve tonewise, but you should not use tone settings.

oh....ok but i got another question why doesnt the TM60 have middle or is it called something else?

Midrange is individually controlled by Punch in Channel 1 and by Growl in Channel 2.

Midrange is individually controlled by Punch in Channel 1 and by Growl in Channel 2.

oh ok man thanks again 4 ur help!