Home Recording Studio

Guest Philly

Guest Philly

Hey, you guys I'm looking to purchase a proffesional home recording system.

I want a crisp proffesional sound, any tips on what to buy?

Moneys not an issue but don't be a "wiseass" and pick out the most expensive shit.

I need EVERYTHING including shit for vocals, drums, guitar, bass, keyboard, but I have the Mics

Rather than list all my reccomendations here (since you didn't give me any preferences on what type of equipment you want, I'd just end up recommending what I already own and love from my studio anyways), just click the link in my profile and click my only blog. There is an entire list w/ pictures of everything you could possibly need in any studio situation, for the most part anyways.

And just a suggestion, since you need "everything", try to do as much of it as you can via MIDI and high end VSTi's. It will save you a lot of time, money, and in the end produce a much higher quality sound than any personal studio can. I have a few VSTi example's listed on my studio equipment page.

Not very long actually. I arranged it for 5 part harmony (Soprana, Mezzo, Alto, Tenor, Bass) for two choirs to sing together as a joint number. It was a phenominal outcome, but I felt my touchstyle guitar part was a bit weak and got lost in the mix. Then again to be honest, I shouldn't have been playing at all, the song in vocal arrangement really shouldn't have a guitar of anytype, so I'm kind of glad for that. But I loved the song and really wanted to take control of it as opposed to just arranging is for someone else then playing simple accompanyment, so over the next while I just cut up the vocal harmonies and added them into the instrumental I was doing of it and it all just kind of clicked. Turned out really well. I've tried to incorporate the melody into the verse, but it doesn't turn out as good as I wanted, so I just let the accompaniment take the lead for that part.

Oh, and Mandy Moore is phenominal.

The best part is, their director (aka my band manager) only showed the choir the Switchfoot version. They never heard Moore's arrangement. So by the time I finished my arrangement of the Moore arrangement, they were like....... "How did you get that from that??? Phenominal!" When all I really did was create a few vocal harmonies.

- Really Good Computer with heaps of ram at least 1gig or get a g4 or g5 or something

- Audio Card

digi001 or digi002 comes with pro tools

m-audio comes with pro tools m-powered

mbox1 or mbox2 i dunno what this comes with but i think pro tools

- Mics

buy some kind of drum mic pack which has like 5 drum mics at least.

get a couple shure sm57's

xlr cables for all the mics

, you can just di the guitars,bass and keyboard and use some cracked plugins from the net to get any kind of amp distortion,chorus,delay any effect,autotune, and compressors

you gotta know how to mix properly as well

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly have to advise against buying a Digidesign Mbox or Mbox 2 for several reasons.

1) Latency, Latency, and more Latency

2) As with the DIGI001 and DIGI002, you are only getting ProTools LE. The entire point of ProTools being the industry standard is it's compatibility as more than just an interface. You have so many possibilities to sync and use hardware via the ProTools software and vice versa. D-Command, DigiDelivery, Command 24, Venue, HD Expansions, etc. Each of those things not only costs 20000 times more than an Mbox itself (so if you're buying an Mbox for ProTools, you're not using ProTools for the reasons why it's such a great recording tool), but only one of those items will work with ProTools LE (Control 24, which is $8000, not to mention the cheapest of any ProTools hardware of that caliber), the rest will not.

3) The Software Processing, Virtual Instrument, and Plugin selection made for ProTools is much less quality and much more expensive than other formats. Not to mention it's about 1% of the entire software based selection out there.

In my opinion, the best interface (as based on by features it has for the money it costs) out there at this moment would be MOTU's 828mkII.

Well, the post was intended to the original topic creator who said money was not an issue. And these days an 828mkII goes second hand for less than an Mbox is sometimes, I've seen them go in the 400-500 dollar range. And the original is now valued at less than $300. However, that is a far better interface than the mbox, something comparible to the Mbox will be much cheaper, but may still have the same problems of latency. And no, zero latency monitoring features do not compansate for the problem since you are only monitoring an insert of the signal your recording, not what you're actually going to hear recorded.

The problem is, while ProTools LE markets itself as being the same great quality for less, they're really not. You're spending more for something of lesser quality when you could be buying something of the same value with many more capabilities, or saving your money and buying something equivelent that's priced for more than what it can do.

And I have quite a bt of first hand experience with this. Less than a year ago I moved over from an Apple+Protools hardware/software system over to a Vaio+Mark Of The Unicorn/Nuendo system. The abilities, features, and software availability once you leave the closed mindset of ProTools are just amazing. Maybe I should change my mindset about this matter. I should really recommend buying a ProTools system, then switching over to a Steinberg system. You really do see the quality difference in features.