Jump to content
 
Tom Bot

Can someone tab this guitar riff? (not very complicated, I just suck)

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, Tom Bot said:

Just the lead guitar riff at this timestamp:

i don't read or write tabs; i'm strictly an ear musician. but i just put on schmaltz and queued up that track. he's noodling on the G and B strings at the fourth through sixth frets. just a sort of lazy back and forth—very face to face. 4-6, 4, 4, 5-4 kind of thing. if you noodle around those notes you'll hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't read or write tabs; i'm strictly an ear musician. but i just put on schmaltz and queued up that track. he's noodling on the G and B strings at the fourth through sixth frets. just a sort of lazy back and forth—very face to face. 4-6, 4, 4, 5-4 kind of thing. if you noodle around those notes you'll hear it.

Sweet, thanks Davey! I notice he also tunes his guitar half a step down for a lot of songs. 

I know it's a basic riff, but damn does it sound great. Kind of reminds me of Tom Delonge circa Enema/TOYPAJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I know it's a basic riff, but damn does it sound great. Kind of reminds me of Tom Delonge circa Enema/TOYPAJ. 

yup, and tom was aping trevor from face to face. if you listen to big choice, you can spot all the guitar parts tom lifted for cheshire cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, daveyjones said:

yup, and tom was aping trevor from face to face. if you listen to big choice, you can spot all the guitar parts tom lifted for cheshire cat.

Big Choice is definitely my favorite Face To Face record. I love that album.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blinkstillrules said:

Big Choice is definitely my favorite Face To Face record. I love that album.

"touchdown boy" is just tom's take on "promises."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

i don't read or use guitar tablature. just listen to the notes and play what you hear. it's not a metallica solo. :)

That takes a while to learn how to do properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Speedo said:

That takes a while to learn how to do properly.

yea i didn't mean to be snobby about it. music by ear comes naturally to me (i never had to learn how to do it) but i can't for the life of me read sheet music or tablature. which is its own disadvantage, especially if all your bandmates do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

yea i didn't mean to be snobby about it. music by ear comes naturally to me (i never had to learn how to do it) but i can't for the life of me read sheet music or tablature. which is its own disadvantage, especially if all your bandmates do!

I started out learning Blink 182 songs on tab!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first instruments were piano and clarinet which both required me to read sheet music, but guitar sheet music makes no sense to me when there are 8000 different ways to play one note. Tab is all I can read for guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Tab is all I can read for guitar.

i suppose it's useful for deconstructing more complicted lead parts. probably the only way i could learn to play mr. brett's solos is by learning to read tabs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i suppose it's useful for deconstructing more complicted lead parts. probably the only way i could learn to play mr. brett's solos is by learning to read tabs!

That's only IF they're tabbed properly ... a good portion of 'em are completely wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Speedo said:

That's only IF they're tabbed properly

yet being an ear musician, at least they'd provide a blueprint or roadmap to correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yet being an ear musician, at least they'd provide a blueprint or roadmap to correct.

You know, the problem I found with tabs is you never really develop technique, or maybe it's just me. I could see what notes I needed but had trouble putting them together in a way that sounds like it should.

I started playing guitar in the early morning hours of May 11th 2002, 10 minutes after getting home from the pop disaster tour. I took my mom's classical guitar and stayed up all night fucking around on it.

I played solely off of tablature for the next few years and while I was great at playing chords I couldn't noodle worth a damn. I have only really picked up playing by ear in the last year or so and the noodling has gotten better but years of poor technique and never learning scales or theory has left me well inadequate as a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Speedo said:

I started playing guitar in the early morning hours of May 11th 2002

by 2002 i had already recorded with three or four bands. #OldManWords

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

by 2002 i had already recorded with three or four bands. #OldManWords

Probably walked fifteen miles in the snow to get to the studio, uphill both ways too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Probably walked fifteen miles in the snow to get to the studio, uphill both ways too! 

no. but i did surf the nets and chat on mIRC via landline dial-up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...