Tom's rare backup guitar used 23 years ago on the 2nd of October 1997

5 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

The preamp knob on the Ampeg is essentially a built-in overdrive pedal.

makes total sense. makes me wonder how close my boosted jcm and your ampeg are. 

i'd expect them to be almost equal...minus the fact that the knobs on the marshall don't do much and make an EQ pedal necessary lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i love how there are people on the blink182 forum of all places that can actually talk tone. usually it's "thunderous, syrupy, woody, dirty, wooly,organic" or some BS. I still think though y

It's a strat. With stickers. and a black humbucker;) i don't think its all that important which Marshall you choose to sound like tom. Most 900s have diode clipping and are very different distort

at least through 97, tom was a no pedal dude. the pic we have from the whiskey show opening for descendents in october 96 shows tom running two VL-1002's, either bridged (like fletcher in PW does

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Depf said:

makes total sense. makes me wonder how close my boosted jcm and your ampeg are. 

i'd expect them to be almost equal...minus the fact that the knobs on the marshall don't do much and make an EQ pedal necessary lol

I bet they're close. The Ampeg is said to be a "JCM 800 on steroids". Based on the JCM 800 circuit but with more gain and features.

Which 800 do you have? I love JCM 800s.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, daveyjones said:

at least through 97, tom was a no pedal dude.

The first time I ever noticed effects pedals was on TOYPAJ. Story Of A Lonely Guy sounds like he's using some chorus and a slight delay.

Up to and including Enema I'm not hearing anything but guitar and amp. I could be wrong but I know his live setup never had pedals from the start to the Enema era. I saw them play live during TOYPAJ but can't remember ifStory Of A Lonely Guy had the effects live. I'd have to go listen to some recordings.

2 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I bet they're close. The Ampeg is said to be a "JCM 800 on steroids". Based on the JCM 800 circuit but with more gain and features.

Which 800 do you have? I love JCM 800s.

Just the classic 2203 into a v30 loaded 2x12" . 

more gain than i'd ever need, especially if high output PUs or the screamer are at play. 

dude ranch is my fav album but man, the EOTS tone is to die for. i would love to someday get a mini recto and a/b/y it with the jcm.

i really hope @Ry-Bread keeps up the good work and we get to find out more about the guitars used pre untitled album.

sorry for the off topic banter haha

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Depf said:

Just the classic 2203 into a v30 loaded 2x12" . 

more gain than i'd ever need, especially if high output PUs or the screamer are at play. 

dude ranch is my fav album but man, the EOTS tone is to die for. i would love to someday get a mini recto and a/b/y it with the jcm.

i really hope @Ry-Bread keeps up the good work and we get to find out more about the guitars used pre untitled album.

sorry for the off topic banter haha

2203 is my fave 800.

I have a single rec series 2. With the invader it's pretty dead on for Enema. Would love to a/b/y it with a 900 like Tom though.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

2203 is my fave 800.

I have a single rec series 2. With the invader it's pretty dead on for Enema. Would love to a/b/y it with a 900 like Tom though.

ah man, if this was a regional board i'd have you and your rig over for pizza and Soundcheck asap.

tom used the 900 dual reverb right? quite different to the other 900s and basically 800 with the ability to go cleaner. i bet recto+800 is dead on.

when did he stop using the marshalls anyway? ive seen pictures of rackpreamps and what not. but starting around 2001 all you see is the mesa cabs and who knows what went in them.

what happened to the amp thread? all dead foto links. bummer

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

The first time I ever noticed effects pedals was on TOYPAJ. Story Of A Lonely Guy sounds like he's using some chorus and a slight delay.

Up to and including Enema I'm not hearing anything but guitar and amp. I could be wrong but I know his live setup never had pedals from the start to the Enema era. I saw them play live during TOYPAJ but can't remember ifStory Of A Lonely Guy had the effects live. I'd have to go listen to some recordings.

maybe just a Studio thing, but on the live album adams song sounds a bit modulated. very subtle flange/chorus. i only ever got to see them in 04, by that time it was flanger galore and fuck... the tone was incredible. surprisingly little gain too.

12 minutes ago, Depf said:

maybe just a Studio thing, but on the live album adams song sounds a bit modulated. very subtle flange/chorus. i only ever got to see them in 04, by that time it was flanger galore and fuck... the tone was incredible. surprisingly little gain too.

Adam's Song was guitar and amp with the a/b/y switcher when I saw them right before TOYPAJ came out. It was a smaller venue.

50 minutes ago, Depf said:

ah man, if this was a regional board i'd have you and your rig over for pizza and Soundcheck asap.

tom used the 900 dual reverb right? quite different to the other 900s and basically 800 with the ability to go cleaner. i bet recto+800 is dead on.

when did he stop using the marshalls anyway? ive seen pictures of rackpreamps and what not. but starting around 2001 all you see is the mesa cabs and who knows what went in them.

what happened to the amp thread? all dead foto links. bummer

That would be awesome.

I'm not sure which 900 he used. Maybe @Q182 knows?

I know he was still using the Triple Rec in 2004 but I don't remember if the 900 was still in the setup. He went to that shit Vox/Fender garbage with AvA and brought that to blink when they reunited.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, blinkstillrules said:

That would be awesome.

I'm not sure which 900 he used. Maybe @Q182 knows?

I know he was still using the Triple Rec in 2004 but I don't remember if the 900 was still in the setup.

@Depf He used the Hi Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900. His Triple Rec (Tan/Burgundy) is a 2 Channel Revision G. Not many people know this unless you’re familiar the illustrious history of those amps. 

And no, the 900 got taken out of his setup in ‘04. I would also like to know what was going into those half dozen Mesa cabs.

So how about that backup Sticker Strat, eh? 

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, daveyjones said:

at least through 97, tom was a no pedal dude.

the pic we have from the whiskey show opening for descendents in october 96 shows tom running two VL-1002's, either bridged (like fletcher in PW does with his mesas) or one on clean and one on overdrive.

I’m betting dollars to donuts he had both VL units going in stereo because like you mentioned before; he copied everything from everyone. Also, channel two is engaged on both heads in the photo in question. What I’m guessing is either stage lighting or the flash from Kerry Key’s camera makes it hard to see the red light indicator on the top unit.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Q182 said:

It's a strat. With stickers. and a black humbucker;)

i don't think its all that important which Marshall you choose to sound like tom. Most 900s have diode clipping and are very different distorted but he used the all tube dual reverb and set it up quite clean. All the gain on the clean channel IRRC.

The thing is, the famous tan recto and 900... i never seen them past EOTS. just the cabs. and fotos of jmps/triaxis going into a marshall el34 power amp.

I can't get my head around the fact that no guitar tech from that time has ever been interviewed.... @Ry-Bread

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Q182 said:

@Depf He used the Hi Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900. His Triple Rec (Tan/Burgundy) is a 2 Channel Revision G. Not many people know this unless you’re familiar the illustrious history of those amps. 

And no, the 900 got taken out of his setup in ‘04. I would also like to know what was going into those half dozen Mesa cabs.

Maybe they were dummy cabs? Or maybe it was just all Triple Rec. I really hope they weren't just dummy cabs. I hate when bands do that shit.

11 hours ago, Q182 said:

Maybe they were dummy cabs? Or maybe it was just all Triple Rec. I really hope they weren't just dummy cabs. I hate when bands do that shit.

6 hours ago, Depf said:

It's a strat. With stickers. and a black humbucker;)

i don't think its all that important which Marshall you choose to sound like tom. Most 900s have diode clipping and are very different distorted but he used the all tube dual reverb and set it up quite clean. All the gain on the clean channel IRRC.

The thing is, the famous tan recto and 900... i never seen them past EOTS. just the cabs. and fotos of jmps/triaxis going into a marshall el34 power amp.

I can't get my head around the fact that no guitar tech from that time has ever been interviewed.... @Ry-Bread

One of my favorite Tom tones is from 1998 with his Les Pauls and his Mesa Dual Rec (or is it a Triple @Q182?)

It's so good to my ears.

Recovery in Australia:

Conan: 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Les Pauls and his Mesa Dual Rec (or is it a Triple @Q182?)

Triple. You can see the blue and pink alien stickers on the diamond plate, it’s the same amp he’s using in the Montréal ‘97 video. His Dual Rec was a Rackmount model which was all black and only used with the Sticker Strat. Both of those Mesa’s were Revision G units.

As far as the dummy Mesa cab debate, if I remember right in pictures from that era at least all of them had on microphone on it so take that what you will. I also hate when bands do that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Q182 said:

Triple. You can see the blue and pink alien stickers on the diamond plate, it’s the same amp he’s using in the Montréal ‘97 video. His Dual Rec was a Rackmount model which was all black and only used with the Sticker Strat. Both of those Mesa’s were Revision G units.

As far as the dummy Mesa cab debate, if I remember right in pictures from that era at least all of them had on microphone on it so take that what you will. I also hate when bands do that.

checked my pictures, at least on the 04 tour he mic'ed 1 2x12 and 1 4x12. the other 4 cabs are monitors at best.

i gotta admit, i do have a bit of a marshall wall fetish. 

dummy cab> distracting LED display or whatever 

edit: man those 1998 shows are peak blink for me. thanks for reminding me of those

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Depf said:

checked my pictures, at least on the 04 tour he mic'ed 1 2x12 and 1 4x12. the other 4 cabs are monitors at best.

i gotta admit, i do have a bit of a marshall wall fetish. 

dummy cab> distracting LED display or whatever 

edit: man those 1998 shows are peak blink for me. thanks for reminding me of those

I wanna do a DeLonge LP replica next. The lady luck one. Then go for that '98 tone.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 1:38 AM, luisbootlegs said:

I was just watching the new Montreal 97 show that's surfaced a couple hours ago and noticed that right before the start of the song "Untitled" Tom swaps guitars and starts using a Fender guitar which I had never seen ever before:

Any thoughts/knowledge on that backup guitar?

I have a pretty high res pic of Tom playing that guitar, the same one you have in your signature I think; I have it saved tagged as 1996. 07. 30.

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

you've seen the dude who bought the original, right?

I believe he has sold it since. Don't know who has it now

1996-07-30-Northampton, MA - Northampton Airport (Vans Warped Tour '96)crop.jpg

• Like 1