Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - general discussion

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's be real, someone off the street wouldn't even know what pop punk is so you would just say that you listen to punk rock music.

We need to do more of these battles. They’re good fun. Do a big battle of the bands including the Beatles, nirvana, Queen, REM etc  Yeah I’ll smash my house up when Oasis lose to Nickelback

Use this thread to complain about the tournament and continue arguments from individual battle threads after they get locked. Full list of bands in case you don't want to zoom in on the above ima

5 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIecQxh0S7/?igshid=jxbbw507uojb

Can someone link Mark all those trio songs from the thread the other day real quick.

I hope Mark did not make this.  Right? Blink being emo has to be a troll, even though Tom kind of made the hair thing popular.

Also lol at the band Underoath I in general, they were who I was trying to think of as super emo. Although I do miss those days when people liked fucking Underoath.

9 minutes ago, Yang Gun Kelly said:

I hope Mark did not make this.  Right? Blink being emo has to be a troll, even though Tom kind of made the hair thing popular.

Also lol at the band Underoath I in general, they were who I was trying to think of as super emo. Although I do miss those days when people liked fucking Underoath.

I doubt he made. I love Jimmy Eat World in the centre there though. Probably the most perfect positioning there.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I doubt he made. I love Jimmy Eat World in the centre there though. Probably the most perfect positioning there.

agreed, that is percfect.

that diagram made me realize how much I don't like indie rock (at least out of the bands that are actually on the diagram). I only like Weezer from that section.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, Slevin Seconds said:

We are now in the round that's going to piss me off. I can already feel my blood pressure rising.

Did you have to take off work this week so you could better manage Ramones trolling? Be honest lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Yang Gun Kelly said:

This is a bit of mental torture to make us wait all Monday no?  How are we supposed to be distracted at work now.

4 days for each set of polls. Longer if one of them ends in a tie. Start an argument in one of threads to amuse yourself.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Taking Back Sunday, Screeching Weasel, Motion City Soundtrack and Ramones move onto the next round, which should begin early week.

Ramones will go up against Taking Back Sunday and it'll be Screeching Weasel vs. Motion City Soundtrack.

• Like 2

Hmm this guy's take is interesting, not sure I agree with the comparisons fully but is totally fitting here.

He agrees with the late 90s early 2000s distinction of Pop punk I @Ghentand a few others were saying. 

These other bands like Alkaline are too sub-genre.

4 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

There’s probably another YouTuber out there with an equally annoying thumbnail that agrees with what everyone else was saying too and says alkaline trio is very pop punk.

I don't know why you guys are arguing this so much, there's nothing wrong with being sub-genre, but that's what they are.

They aren't part of the American pie, summer, pop punk scene. Who cares.  

11 minutes ago, Juan said:

I don't know why you guys are arguing this so much, there's nothing wrong with being sub-genre, but that's what they are.

They aren't part of the American pie, summer, pop punk scene. Who cares.  

Pop punk is pretty much an early 90s phenomenon. That some, mostly god awful bands, had some success in the genre in the millennium turn doesn't mean they can just hijack the genre. 

• Like 2

That's literally what they did, they hijacked the genre, sorry.

When someone says "What kind of music do you listen to?" 

and you say "Oh, Pop-Punk"

They are going to think okay, so Blink 182, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard?

not..Alkaline Trio

you guys are so friggin biased just because you like Alkaline Trio so much, who cares if they aren't in that group of defined Pop punk.  I don't like New Found Glory, I'm willing to admit they're probably next to Blink 182 as most refined pop punk.

• Crab 1
40 minutes ago, Juan said:

Hmm this guy's take is interesting, not sure I agree with the comparisons fully but is totally fitting here.

He agrees with the late 90s early 2000s distinction of Pop punk I @Ghentand a few others were saying. 

These other bands like Alkaline are too sub-genre.

He started the video by separating mall punk and pop punk and then said mall punk was the real pop punk and pop punk wasn't. Strange turn. 

• Like 1