Jump to content
 

Tom DeLonge Red Strat (pre-Cheshire Cat)


Q182
 Share

Recommended Posts

Redditor provided more info to support the Squier theory:

Quote

 

This picture of tom’s guitar is an 8 hole pickguard just like the old squier 2’s

I believe the early mim’s were all 11 hole guards if i remember correctly from my youth. See example below

Note the no screw hole by toms wrist

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/03/1994-fender-mexican-stratocaster.html?m=1

These old mik’s rocked. I had one as a kid and played the shit out of it, bet it would stand up today if i still ahd it

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soo......anybody in the mood to identify all the stickers?

This is THE cheshire car guitar. We should all build one and shmeoke a beowl about it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting to really doubt that his very first guitar (given to him/found in the trash) was this one. Even if those kids were at least upper middle class, it seems unlikely that a guitar that was introduced to the market in 1989 would just be thrown away. While cheap, they were still branded guitars.  (cf. https://www.fuzzfaced.net/squier-korea-plywood.html)

 

The great news about this is this : If it is indeed a 89 Korean Squier you can make a great replica super cheap today.

I'm willing to bet that basically all guitars you can get in the 100-200€ range are made just as well and offer compareable (if not outright better) pickups as the ceramic magnet/low output korean singlecoils of the time. The Blink single coil stuff sounds rather spikey , so a ceramic pickup into a trebly amp works really well.

Something like a modern Affinity Strat would be basically perfect. As soon as I have an idea how to go about the stickering I'll be on it

BTW:

don't quote me on this since we aren't yet 100% sure, but my amp buddy said he was 99% sure that the preamp of a Princeton Chorus is the base for the m80 head tom used live in 94.

>>>> So, please correct me on my recap here.

-red strat (position 4) into princeton chorus = blink 1993-late 94 (possibly Buddha recordings)

- red strat (position 4) into ampeg vl 1002   (cheshire cat)

- white sticker strat (position 4 Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat ( X2n in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-97 live, maybe/possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker into mesa triaxis (late 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98)   into dual rec (jcm 900 added in 2nd half 98) (98)

- Custom shop Sig Fender into triple rec/jcm900 (500k Vol pot, no treble bleed. mesa is swtichable clean/dirty, the marshall always on clean channel gain 10)   (99- late 2000?)

- Sig Fender into mesa triaxis> marshall 100w poweramp (2000?-2002)

- Sig Gibson into mesa triaxis(with flanger)> marshall 100w poweramp (late 2003 - 2005)

- Sig Gibson into ocd Fulltone into EVH flange into Ac30/Fender Twin(both set clean(-ish), drive comes from pedal) (dark ages)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Depf said:

- white sticker strat (position 4 Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat ( X2n in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-97 live, maybe/possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker into mesa triaxis (late 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98)   into dual rec (jcm 900 added in 2nd half 98) (98)

This section goes like this (items in bold are new):

- white sticker strat & red strat (position 4, Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle on white sticker) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat (X2N in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-96 live, possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker strat into mesa dual rec rackmount (january-september 97)

- white sticker into mesa triple rec (september 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98) into triple rec/jcm 900 (fall/winter 1997-98)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Depf said:

Soo......anybody in the mood to identify all the stickers?

All I know of the ones on THIS guitar is the green NOFX sticker, which is readily available for purchase from Interpunk.com!

https://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=7100&

Most of the others, like the sticker strat, are lost to the sands of time and would need to be digitally recreated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Is it possible Tom used lace sensors for cheshire? i have little experience with the brand, but i thought they were very humbuckery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Depf said:

Is it possible Tom used lace sensors for cheshire? i have little experience with the brand, but i thought they were very humbuckery?

No, he wouldn’t have known (or possibly cared) about other pickups.

Dollars to donuts it’s the sticker strat pre-X2N, just waiting for some incriminating info to back that up. Until then, it’s the red Buddha strat with stock single coils.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Q182 said:

No, he wouldn’t have known (or possibly cared) about other pickups.

 

FYI, the pickups in the picture we have of the cc recording are quite possibly not stock singlecoils or at least the cover was changed.No polepieces visible as far as I can tell. Although that could be the lighting

Not sure why you would say something wrong like that with such  certainty. Toms been changing Pickups since at least late 94 it seems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 5:30 AM, Depf said:

FYI, the pickups in the picture we have of the cc recording are quite possibly not stock singlecoils or at least the cover was changed. No pole pieces visible as far as I can tell. Although that could be the lighting

That is indeed lighting from the camera flash/studio that doesn't showcase the details of the pickups. The red guitar did not undergo any pickup changes.

It is also far more likely it was suggested to Tom to change the pickups in his Sticker Strat. He wasn't, and still really isn't, a gear nerd like we are.

If you still think there's more beef in the cheshire guitar sound, its probably the sticker strat (position 4, hot rails + stock middle). Don't forget that they redid guitar parts sometime after the 10/7/94 SOMA show, where it made it's first appearance. Mark mentioned it during the stage banter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, Q182 said:

That is indeed lighting from the camera flash/studio that doesn't showcase the details of the pickups. The red guitar did not undergo any pickup changes.

It is also far more likely it was suggested to Tom to change the pickups in his Sticker Strat. He wasn't, and still really isn't, a gear nerd like we are.

If you still think there's more beef in the cheshire guitar sound, its probably the sticker strat (position 4, hot rails + stock middle). Don't forget that they redid guitar parts sometime after the 10/7/94 SOMA show, where it made it's first appearance. Mark mentioned it during the stage banter.

The bill for Cheshire Cat Doubletime sessions is actually dated 5 days before the Oct 7 SOMA show.

 

S7cYqD3.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...