Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

Unless you’re playing a stadium, a 50 watt will suffice. That’s sort of one of the things guitarists like to ignore. Louder is usually never better, it kills tone. Find the tone and then mic up if needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Kelsey Kardashian said:

Joining the Vinyl game, my old one with a million wires no longer works. 

Any recommendations on the new school ones that don't feel too much like cheating?

It’s something I used to think was dumb but I started seeing the appeal in the last few years. Personally, gonna wait until the kids are a little older so I don’t have to worry about grubby fingers or broken records.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matt. said:

It’s something I used to think was dumb but I started seeing the appeal in the last few years. Personally, gonna wait until the kids are a little older so I don’t have to worry about grubby fingers or broken records.

Yeah I have an ancient one but didn't like it due to the size/weight and lack or portability with how much I move around. 

Now all I want is to listen to some vinyls and 'feel' the music as it was desired (older stuff) and the digital age and streaming/play through bluetooth is started to get tired.

I've been on an Elton John and Smiths kick, and I feel like these need to be listened to properly and not on Spotify.  (Man Across Water and Hatful if curious).

But a lot of these look like cheap, bluetooth speakers in themselves for the modernized versions.  Just looking for a simple plug in, but not all digitized..

• 3 weeks later...

IMG-2908.jpg

Picked up a Line 6 Helix floorboard. Gonna give it a spin with the 45 day return policy for Guitar Center.

So far it’s really cool.. and overwhelming. My only complaint is that I’ll need a monitor. The Helix cab simulators combined with my amp sound a bit too airy.. but if I remove the cab simulators from the FX chain, it sounds to staticky. I’m also getting used to figuring out the tone more. I can feel a slight lack of color and feel due to it all being digital, but I may just need to play around with it more.

But so far, it’s rad. I downloaded a preset online that sounds just like Enema of the State. It sounds just like the opening guitar to Anthem. And the tap delay is so nice. Syncs up all the presets/snapshots collectively. So if I go from the adventure to Valkyrie missile, all I have to do is stomp and the dotted 8th delays and quarter note delays sync up effortlessly 

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the Helix for folks reading later down the road:

I got the Headrush 8” monitor to accompany it, and the sound is fucking unbelievable.  I ended up creating my own Tom DeLonge sounding preset, which matches 2003/2004 blink, and it’s amazing.  No hums or static anywhere in the chain, and the tone is beautiful.

Now for gigging, all I need to do is load my guitar, helix, and 8” headrush. I’m all set up in a 5 minutes tops.

The $2100 investment was a lot, but ultimately it will be worth it in the long run. 

• 3 months later...

Thinking of getting back into play guitar again. Living in a small apartment now so a physical amp, even a small practice one is out of the question I think. Looking to go digital. 

I have a decent PC and a focusrite scarlett 2i2, and already have Ableton if that matters. Not really looking to record, just play and listen through headphones. 

What do I need to do this? Like is it just some sort of guitar amp software and run it through ableton? I tried it once before but had horrible latency issues but at the time I was using a headphone amp/mixer for gaming so I'm hoping it was just that. Now I have headphones hooked up right to the scarlett

On 10/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, Knapppers said:

Thinking of getting back into play guitar again. Living in a small apartment now so a physical amp, even a small practice one is out of the question I think. Looking to go digital. 

I have a decent PC and a focusrite scarlett 2i2, and already have Ableton if that matters. Not really looking to record, just play and listen through headphones. 

What do I need to do this? Like is it just some sort of guitar amp software and run it through ableton? I tried it once before but had horrible latency issues but at the time I was using a headphone amp/mixer for gaming so I'm hoping it was just that. Now I have headphones hooked up right to the scarlett

If you want to go software on pc maybe you could try overloud th-u... They got rig sounds for everything and pretty good. The user ui maybe is not the best, but the sound is killer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Monkey Chips said:

Something I've always wondered for choruses... Do people sing them 'live' for the whole song or do they get like the best take for one of the chorus lines and then just copy/paste the good take for the song itself? 

I‘m sure its different depending on the artist/producer… most of the time it is multiple takes comped together (e.g first word take 1, second and third word from take 3, etc) to one chorus which is then copy/pasted, unless theres differing choruses

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

I‘m sure its different depending on the artist/producer… most of the time it is multiple takes comped together (e.g first word take 1, second and third word from take 3, etc) to one chorus which is then copy/pasted, unless theres differing choruses

Ah that makes sense... I never really thought about it in that way before, but on some takes for certain parts of a line sung could have been done better than another so it would make sense to combine the best of the best to get a solid performance.

Though I never really tried, I guess the best editors and mixers would make it sound flawlessly like it was one vocal track.

Some studio magic out there that I never thought of before. Just as long as the vocalist can sing (even mediocrely) and it all comes out sounding good with a great producer. 

8 minutes ago, Monkey Chips said:

Though I never really tried, I guess the best editors and mixers would make it sound flawlessly like it was one vocal track.

It doesnt need much effort to make it sound like one vocal track. It‘s fairly easy, you should try it out.

it obviously only works when you record to a click track, so the timing is the exact same on every take

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Neal said:

It doesnt need much effort to make it sound like one vocal track. It‘s fairly easy, you should try it out.

it obviously only works when you record to a click track, so the timing is the exact same on every take

Yeah that's true... I know it's not the same thing (and I already mentioned this in the BotBM thread), but I recorded three ditties for bits soundalerts (for my twitch channel) and I sort of did a self click/metronome with the first one while the other two I didn't.

1) https://vocaroo.com/1dtvlGunI3Jg <- You can hear me snapping so it was easy to keep a bit of timing with this one

The other two I just sang it freely (and with multiple takes (also did three lines of voices; one normal, one where I tried to sing deeper, and another where I did an impersonation (41 I scratched my voice up a bit to sound like Deryck and 182 I sang my words like Tom)

2) https://vocaroo.com/12MQkTFuIoXA <- 41

3) https://vocaroo.com/11LNNkDX6qNM <- 182