The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

8 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Just listened to a couple Untitled tracks (SS, Go, Asthenia, HYL), god damn its good. The creativity was real.

I think I get what @Scott. is getting at, current Blink is kinda bland-ish.

Yeah I have no interest atm. It doesn't really feel like blink to me anymore. 

What' I've been experiencing on the last weeks is something like that, Scott, but not so extreme. I kinda feel you. I do have interest in blink, as long as I listen to them from time to time and as long as I have a look on the interviews or videos that people posts here. I enjoy playing their songs on the guitar and what not. But California is different. I remember the excitement I had when it was released. Is so damn catchy that on the first listens is amazing. But then, as I said in other thread, the album fades away. In my case, when I listen to blink and then I have a spin on California... well, it ends up lacking the classic blink feeling. I'm ok with the "doesn't feel like blink" statement that someone said. In fact, although I'll listen to whatever they release, it wouldn't be a drama if they changed the name of the band. Overall, I enjoy the album (I voted I enojy it on that poll), but well... I feel it like it's been quickly worn out, and it's weird, because I didn't listened it to death.

Anyway, as I said too, I still have faith, and I'm looking forward to see what's coming up on those bonus tracks they will release on the deluxe edition of California and, moreover, I'll like to see what the hell are they gonna do on the next record.

• Like 2

I absolutely loved California when it came out, I still think it's decent but fuck me blink are heading in the wrong direction, I was also hating on Tom and was all for Matt but that's really worn off. I look at Mark lately and I wanna punch his fucking lights out, I dunno what it is but he's a bit of a twat? He's absolute cringe on Twitter. I like Travis. I like Matt but I don't want him in Blink. I also appreciate Tom a bit more, he's followed his dreams (cringe I know) but he's million percent more genuine and real than Mark imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

I dont know what's wrong with me but I have zero interest in Blink atm. I hardly ever listen to them, I haven't even kept up with news, have no idea what's happening, no interest at all to listen to the live stuff. I finally think not having Tom as hit me. I dunno I see Matt and he's not blink. I didn't wanna be a tombot and I actually dislike the wanker but blink will always be the 3 of them and Scott. I'm just not feeling it anymore. Never thought this day would come tbh, maybe and hopefully it's just a weird phase I'm going through. I fucking hope it is. 

I also listen to other bands now (oasis, the smiths etc) and think that Blink are a joke band compared with songs that don't mean anything.

i hear this. i made a post a while ago about coming to the conclusion that kicking tom out was a bad decision. he deserved it, and it's disgraceful what he put the band through, but given how much of the band was mark and tom's friendship, it was a mistake. matt's not really blink to me, either. this whole era is cool in some respects but i think it's a weird detour. i also find myself not crazy excited for certain things the way it once was

• Like 1

Gotta laugh, so many Blink fans (including some on here) spent years talking about how Blink need to get back to the "big time", and then as soon as they manage it, these fans disapprove.

Saying that, I KIND OF get the attitude people have mentioned, I don't understand the hate for Skiba, but to me this Blink line up is "Decent" and will only ever be decent. Can't see them ever putting out anything the quality of untitled again, anything that makes the hair on the neck stand up.

5 minutes ago, Craig182 said:

Gotta laugh, so many Blink fans (including some on here) spent years talking about how Blink need to get back to the "big time", and then as soon as they manage it, these fans disapprove.

Saying that, I KIND OF get the attitude people have mentioned, I don't understand the hate for Skiba, but to me this Blink line up is "Decent" and will only ever be decent. Can't see them ever putting out anything the quality of untitled again, anything that makes the hair on the neck stand up.

I never wanted blink to be popular again tbh. At the start before any news about California I wanted a dark edgy album. I was all for it and stated I didn't want pop punk. But then I was just happy to have blink so didn't really care and even though I enjoy the album and I think it's pretty decent I hope the next album is darker, California is a total cash grab, no creativity whatsoever. If someone said all time low co wrote the album NOBODY would be shocked. I love all time low btw and I love pop punk but I want more for blink. I thought Matt Skiba would add so much but he's added absolutely fuck all. For him to say bored to death is the best song he's ever written is a fucking joke and tells you all you need to know about the sell out.

im fuming btw if you haven't noticed. I'm in a rant mood.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Craig182 said:

I don't disapprove anything, neither hate Skiba, just to clarify.

And yep. The 'decent' definition is cool to me. I agree with that.

Just now, Chrisx37 said:

No matter how good/bad California is, kicking Tom out was the right decision. People praise Tom for following his dreams, so why not let Mark do the same and continue making music in the band he loves?

There's not a creative bone left in Mark. He's finished. Will never write a great song again. 

Prove me wrong Mark. I know he lurks here......

I totally agree about "darker" Blink, to me the thing that flaws California is its blatantly a Mark driven attempt to get back to the big time...and it's worked.

I do like California, bit it's just proved to highlight what drove Blink apart:

Mark wants to be classic Blink, and he thinks that means making throwaway, polished pop punk songs

Tom wants to grow musically, but he thinks that means throwing guitars away and over using shit synths.

In truth, the sweet spot is in the middle of both, but neither can see that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Craig182 said:

I totally agree about "darker" Blink, to me the thing that flaws California is its blatantly a Mark driven attempt to get back to the big time...and it's worked.

I do like California, bit it's just proved to highlight what drove Blink apart:

Mark wants to be classic Blink, and he thinks that means making throwaway, polished pop punk songs

Tom wants to grow musically, but he thinks that means throwing guitars away and over using shit synths.

In truth, the sweet spot is in the middle of both, but neither can see that.

I know they've been nominated for a Grammy but are they really popular again? I haven't heard blink on the radio or hardly see new music videos in the music channels. If anything all I see atm is green day and their awful new music.

Oh, my. The other day I was on a store called FNAC (don't know if those are there un the UK or USA), and they were playing the new album from top to bottom on the music section. And it was weird, it sounded just perfect for a kind of mall or whatever.

Mark should not strive to write "dark edgy" songs. When he does, it sucks the life out of you because the songs are so draggy. When Tom writes stuff like that, it's still energetic and filled with spirit. Admittedly this is a matter of taste, as Mark is clearly a lot more capable of being introspective (while Tom lives in a fantasy world), but my country at least is already filled with draggy music, and I sure as hell don't want my favorite band to start writing music like that.

I made a huge playlist on Spotify with tons of albums, including Dude Ranch and Untitled, and I'm pretty much only listening to this playlist lately, and every time a blink song came up I'm so stoked because those songs mean everything to me.. But I don't feel anything when I listen to California and you're not the only one who sees Mark as irritating. I don't know, I just can't stand him right now because he doesn't seem genuine, I don't know how to explain it because I don't even know exactly how I feel about him but it has never occurred to me before, in all these years.

And I love Skiba and Alkaline Trio but my heart breaks every time I think that his contribution to the album was nothing. I know, they wanted to play it safe but these are just excuses for their laziness and lack of creativity. At the same time, I bought a ticket to see them in England next summer and I'm not changing my mind, the other day I was thinking that I can't wait to see them and it'll be fun but it's a weird time for us long time fans. 

I may need to go and listen to some dude ranch and my love for Mark will come back. God that album is perfect. How good was early Mark btw? His songs shat all over Tom's. Also plus44 album is absolutely brilliant. That slots in at no3 behind dude ranch and untitled.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I made a huge playlist on Spotify with tons of albums, including Dude Ranch and Untitled, and I'm pretty much only listening to this playlist lately, and every time a blink song came up I'm so stoked because those songs mean everything to me.. But I don't feel anything when I listen to California and you're not the only one who sees Mark as irritating. I don't know, I just can't stand him right now because he doesn't seem genuine, I don't know how to explain it because I don't even know exactly how I feel about him but it has never occurred to me before, in all these years.

And I love Skiba and Alkaline Trio but my heart breaks every time I think that his contribution to the album was nothing. I know, they wanted to play it safe but these are just excuses for their laziness and lack of creativity. At the same time, I bought a ticket to see them in England next summer and I'm not changing my mind, the other day I was thinking that I can't wait to see them and it'll be fun but it's a weird time for us long time fans. 

I get what you mean about the new stuff not "meaning" anything to you, I feel the same...but I think maybe we can't blame the music for that.

Pre break up Blink soundtracked my teen years, trying to get girls, hanging out with mates after school etc, so it's connected to memories.

California soundtracks my drives to work, or sitting at a desk doing adult shit, so therefore the memories attached to it aren't the same.

• Like 4