Ari

The blink 182 general discussion topic

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

"I told Tom that when I lived in Riverside, I had been in a band called Box Car Racer that played music like that, with my friends Billy Meyer and Alex Barreto.* Tom loved the name Box Car Racer—I figured we had never put out an album and the band was now defunct, nobody had ownership use the name. I tried to get in touch with Alex, who had been in the original Box Car Racer, because I wanted him to be in the second version of the band. But he had gone MIA—nobody could get hold of him."

What that this mean?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, raw_sounds said:

What that this mean?

Yes MIA means missing in action. Back before social media, you often lost friendships forever into a dark abyss when someone moved or changed their number.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, raw_sounds said:

What that this mean?

Don't listen to them ... they're pulling your chain. The dude sings that Paper Planes song now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

travis' band was called box car racer if i remember correctly.

yeah, i found it:

"Feeble was my main gig, but I played on the side with pretty much anybody who asked: sometimes I called myself a drum whore. For example, I was in a trio called Crawl with my friends Billy and Alex—we were very post-hardcore, with heavy influences from Quicksand and Rocket from the Crypt. We played two gigs, and then one of the guys left. We replaced him and put together another slew of songs with the same approach, and called ourselves Box Car Racer. That band also lasted two gigs."

"I told Tom that when I lived in Riverside, I had been in a band called Box Car Racer that played music like that, with my friends Billy Meyer and Alex Barreto.* Tom loved the name Box Car Racer—I figured we had never put out an album and the band was now defunct, nobody had ownership use the name. I tried to get in touch with Alex, who had been in the original Box Car Racer, because I wanted him to be in the second version of the band. But he had gone MIA—nobody could get hold of him."

Source?

jesus fuck....Those vocals tracks have been beating to death with Melodyne

I mean i get it....It has to be in tune. And i don't consider mark a real singer anyway. But he's quite bad. Ofcourse i don't care cause he is a good songwriter with the skills he has and has an amazing tone in his voice. But still.

Its almost robotic.

You can hear it really well in ''Good Old Days''

Sometimes i just don't know where i BELONGGGGGGG *Melodyne. That part really destroys the song a bit. Super plastic fake sounding....like some youtube covers have going on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

I mean i get it....It has to be in tune. And i don't consider mark a real singer anyway. But he's quite bad. Ofcourse i don't care cause he was a good songwriter with the skills he has and has an amazing tone in his voice. But still.

Its almost robotic.

Sometimes i just don't know where i BELONGGGGGGG *Melodyne. That part really destroys the song a bit. Super plastic fake sounding....like some youtube covers have going on.

Fixed that...that's why all the co-writers are needed. 

I mean i get it....It has to be in tune. And i don't consider mark a real singer anyway. But he's quite bad. Ofcourse i don't care cause he is a good songwriter with the skills he has and has an amazing tone in his voice. But still.

Its almost robotic.

Well, to be honest, they have been doing that since yesteryear. Maybe it was not that noticeable. Here are the vocals for Always, and here for Feeling This.

Its almost robotic.

you guys don't realize that most things in today's music is done on purpose. they could have recorded the same vocal parts 1-2 more times, and that would have been perfect. the engineer would put everything together, and the vocal track is completed without being robotic. but: today's listeners love the autotune/melodyne-effect.

in an acapella it sounds weird, but between distorted guitars or synths the little digital bends add something "special". you know what it is, and it's not special for you. but the average listener just thinks this is what makes a song professional.

so it's not about abilities. although mark's voice is not that good anymore, in a studio environment he could hit the notes easily. it's not like being on set at a live show, singing for 20 minutes, getting tired, and making a mistake with a higher note that can't be corrected. in the studio he just needs to sing a 10 seconds part to correct a mistake anytime. but they don't do it, because they want that melodyne-effect.

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

you guys don't realize that most things in today's music is done on purpose. they could have recorded the same vocal parts 1-2 more times, and that would have been perfect. the engineer would put everything together, and the vocal track is completed without being robotic. but: today's listeners love the autotune/melodyne-effect.

in an acapella it sounds weird, but between distorted guitars or synths the little digital bends add something "special". you know what it is, and it's not special for you. but the average listener just thinks this is what makes a song professional.

so it's not about abilities. although mark's voice is not that good anymore, in a studio environment he could hit the notes easily. it's not like being on set at a live show, singing for 20 minutes, getting tired, and making a mistake with a higher note that can't be corrected. in the studio he just needs to sing a 10 seconds part to correct a mistake anytime. but they don't do it, because they want that melodyne-effect.

I completely agree for popmusic.

For blink...i think you are deadwrong. And its not on purpose in the way you think. The vocals just have to be as produced as the instruments for it to sound cohesive. Thats why. Too high production standards. But its not like mark wanted his voice to sound like that. i dont believe that. 

Im a guy who loves autotune and loves vocoders and effects to make vocals sound 2017. Huge pop guy here

But mark could of done a few more vocal takes to the point where he almost hits the right note. Then you could pitch it a little to make it sound 100% in tune.

Sometimes it sounds like mark was off a little too much and they had to push the words to the right note and also went a little to far with the knobs on the software. 

It sound horrible at times. It also doesn't sound like its done on purpose. It sounds like an overproduction mistake from Feldpopman and a  mediocre singer.(thats what mark is..lets be honest)

I do love melodyne btw cause for the most part his voice sounds really good thanks to modern production software and all. But at times its too much

Yeah, if they wanted that in purpose, they'd make it more evident to achieve that effect. In this case, though, it's pure pitch correction taken to the extreme, just as the rest of the sound is treated. But in the other hand, I do think the 'aaaaahs' on the background of the chorus are really tuned and tweaked in purpose that way. I mean, they even sound like Mark or Matt.

• Like 1

Thank all of you though....for talking in depht about music and using your brains.

I have met so many people that just like a song or don't like a song....but only based on the song. 

I truly think 50% of a songs beauty isn't the song itself...but the production,mix choices and ofcourse the arrangement and soundwise. and why they went for their choices.

Its an artform on its own.

Most average people don't listen to that stuff. 

You can clearly see how many real music lovers are on these boards!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

I completely agree for popmusic.

For blink...i think you are deadwrong. And its not on purpose in the way you think. The vocals just have to be as produced as the instruments for it to sound cohesive. Thats why. Too high production standards. But its not like mark wanted his voice to sound like that. i dont believe that. 

maybe not mark was the one who wanted it, but the production crew (mostly feldmann)... all songs produced by feldmann has this over-the-top autotune shit. it can't be accidental, and it's not a test. he's been using it for years, and (even if it sounds strange for us) it's probably working.