Jump to content
 
n i k u

AVA General Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Not even close to what i was trying to say but i knew the fanboys would get triggered.

I wish ilan would need to cancel tours because of fucked up arms but the coward is just not rock'n'roll enough and discovered a thing called gravity....

Illan IS pretty far from Rock n' Roll.  More like a weird child prodigy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, besides the hi hat thing on We Dont Need To Whisper, the recording engineer on the drums (they recorded at dave grohls studio) ruined the recordings according to Tom Lord Alge. He shows the drum channels and how it sounds, very interesting. He was like obviously mad talking about it and really shat on the one who recorded it. Kind of makes you think about the drum sound in a different way, i’ve always loved the sound. Well, guess thats the magic of TLA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Illan IS pretty far from Rock n' Roll.  More like a weird child prodigy.

Because if there were ever a qualified judge on deciding what makes someone Rock n' Roll, it's a die hard Blink fan who thinks highly of California and Nine. You're meltin' like a popsicle. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Because if there were ever a qualified judge on deciding what makes someone Rock n' Roll, it's a die hard Blink fan who thinks highly of California and Nine. You're meltin' like a popsicle. 

I also think highly of Slayer...your point?  Try again Tom's Angel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

I also think highly of Slayer...your point?  Try again Tom's Angel.

I really wish I hated you ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom Bot said:

I really wish I hated you ❤️

You can't quit me, my lonely, cat-like master.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reg said:

Yeah, besides the hi hat thing on We Dont Need To Whisper, the recording engineer on the drums (they recorded at dave grohls studio) ruined the recordings according to Tom Lord Alge. He shows the drum channels and how it sounds, very interesting. He was like obviously mad talking about it and really shat on the one who recorded it. Kind of makes you think about the drum sound in a different way, i’ve always loved the sound. Well, guess thats the magic of TLA. 

Yeah the drums sounded way better on I-Empire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gotta say, as a new fan (though an old fan of Blink and Boxcar), I have only heard the album I-Empire in full so far (with several other songs from most of the other albums), but I love it! Some songs don't strike me much, but the ones that do are freaking amazing!! I hope there is still some love here for A&A, because I like chatting about it. :D

Edit: Oh yeah, so, my faves (on this album) are; Rite of Spring, Heaven, Secret Crowds, and Everything's Magic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tombomb Yeah I think I like I-Empire the best out of the "old" AVA albums, Secret Crowds is probably my favorite AVA song all time. You have a lot to dig in to, start at WDNTW and ride it all the way through! Btw welcome to the boards!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the welcome @Ry-Bread ! Yeah, it's definitely a great album. But I'm like really into Do it For Me Now these days. I've actually heard a lot of songs by the time I posted that and even more now, but I-Empire is still the only FULL one I've heard. I think either Whisper or maybe Love pt 1 I've gotten super close to finishing. I'm also super stoked for the new album. Hope it comes out this year!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to express how fun it was to watch this and Tom's enthusiasm is amazing! :D

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 12:20 AM, Reg said:

Im watching like an 6 hour long video tutorial of Tom Lorde Alge mixing and talking about The Adventure. Awesome stuff, but what surprised me the most is him furious about how badly the drums were recorded and how some channels were unusable. Like room mics, and he couldnt even use the hi hat mic. Maybe thats why the hi hat is room sound only?He said there was like at least 5 drum mics unusable. Hes guessing that an engineer dialed in a sound, then Atom came in and played so loud he probably ruined everything (the dialed in pre amps, and stuff). And he said he HATES how much and loud atom played the hi hat, it was hard to mix because of it, and he would have smashed his hand and told him to stop if he was there hahaha. Never knew that. 

Bit late to the party but where did you watch the video? I'm always interested to listen and watch things like that. i'm sure there's a video about mixing blink-182's Obvious which has acoustic guitars in it. Never even noticed any acoustic guitar in that track haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Bit late to the party but where did you watch the video? I'm always interested to listen and watch things like that. i'm sure there's a video about mixing blink-182's Obvious which has acoustic guitars in it. Never even noticed any acoustic guitar in that track haha.

Obvious was mix with the masters I think (not entirely sure) but The Adventure was nail the mix

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

Obvious was mix with the masters I think (not entirely sure) but The Adventure was nail the mix

Obvious is on PureMix and Ryan Hewitt the engineer is mixing it, so its not a tutorial by Tom Lord Alge. But really awesome to see all the tracks and sounds you didnt know were there. 
 

and yeah the adventure is on nail the mix. I did the trial, watch it, then cancelled my subscription haha. #hackerman

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I have almost caught up on all the AVA music. Tonight was The Dream Walker. Prepare for brutal honesty. Ha! Nah, it's not that bad.

So, it starts out with the banger, Teenagers and Rituals. Love that one and the line, "light that shit up like the fourth of July". :P

Paralyzed is not bad. Is it just the song title that's similar to The Used's song, or do they sound similar too? (I got The Used vibes later in the album too).

Ok, I've pretty much always loved Wolfpack.

Now then, Tunnels is just ok, Mercenaries, Disease, and maybe even Tremors, I could not wait until the track switched. Not necessarily bad songs, just wasn't my thing.

Kiss with a Spell is kinda growing on me. Oh, did I mention I could notice the NIN influences??

Anomaly is not really a favorite, but I think Tom's voice sounds gorgeous here! The talent he does have is truly showcased here and he could sing me to sleep any night. ;)

And finally, while not my most favorite, definitely the hook I needed to peak my interest in this band, as it was the first AVA song I ever heard. It's just such a fun dance like song! (What other song does this remind me of?? Something, but I also think this was the one that has that similar fun vibe as The Used's new "Lighthouse").

Anyway, so there ya have it! Sorry if there is already a special thread for this album. I forgot to check first. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're getting this going again - Finally got some decent headphones after bearing with some shitty earphones that came with my Iphone. I didn't realise how much I've been shutting off a world of sound, I'm hearing so many more layers now.

AVA can be incredible with headphones. Overload is a banger, Kiss & Tell still addictive, love Rubano's backing vocals on that track. Not sure if I've said before- but on reflection, the first two minutes of The Adventure is the only time AVA really achieved what Tom said it would when it first began.  The chord progression is fucking mesmerising and it does give those visions of grandedur/hope etc - shame the bridge stops the song dead

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

If we're getting this going again - Finally got some decent headphones after bearing with some shitty earphones that came with my Iphone. I didn't realise how much I've been shutting off a world of sound, I'm hearing so many more layers now.

AVA can be incredible with headphones. Overload is a banger, Kiss & Tell still addictive, love Rubano's backing vocals on that track. Not sure if I've said before- but on reflection, the first two minutes of The Adventure is the only time AVA really achieved what Tom said it would when it first began.  The chord progression is fucking mesmerising and it does give those visions of grandedur/hope etc - shame the bridge stops the song dead

I've always thought WDNTW was one of the best "sounding" albums I've ever heard.  It just feels so full and atmospheric.  One of the reasons I (maybe unfairly) diss on I-Empire is because the production changed so much and I wanted more of the Whisper sound.  To me I-Empire sounds a lot like Neighborhoods-tinny and flat as cardboard.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I've always thought WDNTW was one of the best "sounding" albums I've ever heard.  It just feels so full and atmospheric.  One of the reasons I (maybe unfairly) diss on I-Empire is because the production changed so much and I wanted more of the Whisper sound.  To me I-Empire sounds a lot like Neighborhoods-tinny and flat as cardboard.

Yeah it really does have a hell of a lot going on.  It does feel genuinely 'spacey' and I can't even define what that is. Yeah I'm not entirely sure why they dropped it, because Critter was still around for I-Empire wasn't he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Yeah it really does have a hell of a lot going on.  It does feel genuinely 'spacey' and I can't even define what that is. Yeah I'm not entirely sure why they dropped it, because Critter was still around for I-Empire wasn't he? 

I actually think it was more of Critter's influence on the albums after Whisper that made them sound worse lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I've always thought WDNTW was one of the best "sounding" albums I've ever heard.  It just feels so full and atmospheric.  One of the reasons I (maybe unfairly) diss on I-Empire is because the production changed so much and I wanted more of the Whisper sound.  To me I-Empire sounds a lot like Neighborhoods-tinny and flat as cardboard.

Lol The frowny face was for the latter comment. I mean, I can respect the fact, but it's sad because I Empire is the one I ordered (think it came just now actually), and both it and Neighborhoods have some great songs on there! 

But I also very much love the first album! :) Do it for Me Now has to be my new most favorite AVA song. :D

Thanks for keeping this topic going, folks! 

So, the irony is, I wasn't like so excited about Tunnels, but guess what my morning earworm of the day is?? Lol Yea, so I'm kinda vibing on that right now. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...