The blink 182 general discussion topic

Just now, NotNow said:

Also mark said Matt doesn’t even have a computer which is why he isn’t really involved. He has zero set up at his home to do anything and they’ve recorded this ep entirely from home. Mark hasn’t seen Travis in person since March

You would think Matt would want to be involved. I know he's gone to Feldmans at least once.  But damn why wouldn't you just get a simple set up to continue to write. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 82.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghent

• Donald Trump's Bulge

• M!ke

• Chewy030

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got this painted up, I think it turned out pretty nice!  

holy fuck I'm shaking.  Producer calls me at 12:15 says he'll be calling back in about an hour.   Called at 1255 and it was Mark pretending to be the producer, I mentioned  how blink-182online wa

I’ve been dabbling in wood carving the last few months. This ones not done, but thought I would share

Posted Images

Its just not the way Skiba rolls. On that DeMakes podcast he was on, he said he simply does a very raw recording in the memos-app on his phone of his ideas with him and his guitar and then brings it to the band, (AK3) because he doesnt want to interfere with the others take on the song and already determine how the drums fx should sound like. Pretty humble mindset in my opinion.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah my question was more directed at the fact people aren’t bothered by songs not including Tom before but now when a song doesn’t include Matt it’s suddenly a big issue. But as speedo said it most likely just stems from there being another name in the credits who isn’t in the band which is a fair enough answer to me.

People were bothered at the time though, it was discussed by blink fans quite a bit. 

5 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

How would a song be any better if Tom played the same thing as Mark did? It would be the same lol

The same but the guitar tones and the playing styles would sound different. Even though they could play the exact same thing, you'd be able to tell if it was Tom or Mark playing on the tracks I think. Even before Mark mentioning what songs he played guitar on, it was obvious that Mark played on them tracks. The chorus of Natives is just power chords yet you can tell it's Tom playing those power chords whereas the songs like MH, Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone and Fighting the Gravity sounds like Mark playing power chords.

I don't think it would make the songs better but maybe it'd make Neighborhoods sound more cohesive.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1
27 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

The same but the guitar tones and the playing styles would sound different. Even though they could play the exact same thing, you'd be able to tell if it was Tom or Mark playing on the tracks I think. Even before Mark mentioning what songs he played guitar on, it was obvious that Mark played on them tracks. The chorus of Natives is just power chords yet you can tell it's Tom playing those power chords whereas the songs like MH, Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone and Fighting the Gravity sounds like Mark playing power chords.

I don't think it would make the songs better but maybe it'd make Neighborhoods sound more cohesive.

Come on guys. The guitar tones aren’t any different. Bet Mark used the same guitars Tom did , same recording techniques and all that.

18 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Come on guys. The guitar tones aren’t any different. Bet Mark used the same guitars Tom did , same recording techniques and all that.

They're definitely different, I could seriously tell right away that it didn't sound like Tom. Not trying to hype myself up because I couldn't tell you specifically WHAT is different haha, but I could absolutely hear that it wasn't Tom's sound.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

They're definitely different, I could seriously tell right away that it didn't sound like Tom. Not trying to hype myself up because I couldn't tell you specifically WHAT is different haha, but I could absolutely hear that it wasn't Tom's sound.

I think the guitar tones sound the same all throughout but I guess I never listened with a fine tooth comb to that album like I have for other albums 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I think the guitar tones sound the same all throughout but I guess I never listened with a fine tooth comb to that album like I have for other albums 

Check the chorus for hearts all gone, specifically that change from F to E. Besides sounding awesome it really sounds very unlike what tom usually does with chords and very p90-ish. Thats at least the one example that comes to my mind. I guess in not now it's not too different but i cant think of too many times were tom would simply lower the bottom note of a chord and leave the fifth and octave be.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Listen to MH right now and tell me that's Toms tone. You're out of your mind if you think he used Toms gear. For a start they recorded most of the record in completely different studios away from each other so straight away the same gear is incredibly unlikely. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Listen to MH right now and tell me that's Toms tone. You're out of your mind if you think he used Toms gear. For a start they recorded most of the record in completely different studios away from each other so straight away the same gear is incredibly unlikely. 

I know that they were  in separate studios but it still stands to reason they’d use similar if not the same gear. Even Travis has a signature TD guitar. (And yes I’m aware Tom didn’t really record with his signatures). But yea, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just saying I never paid attention much to that record, so I’ll give it a listen This weekend to assess again. But I believe you lol don’t be so mad 

12 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I know that they were  in separate studios but it still stands to reason they’d use similar if not the same gear. Even Travis has a signature TD guitar. (And yes I’m aware Tom didn’t really record with his signatures). But yea, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just saying I never paid attention much to that record, so I’ll give it a listen This weekend to assess again. But I believe you lol don’t be so mad 

Mark tends to bump low ends and muddy the guitar way more than Tom and keeps a pretty 4/4 strumming pattern, where as Tom likes to hit open strings between chord transitions.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yeah, it's what Champ and Kay have been saying. I could tell those 4 songs specifically were Mark playing the guitar and on the rest of the album it's Tom. It'd be hard to tell if they would've used the same recording techniques since they weren't really together when recording the album but even if they used the same guitar tones and stuff, the playing style would still be different. Mark plays the guitar like a bassist would play the guitar. The guitar style is the same exact guitar style as the In Transit song he did.

I reckon the bass guitars for BCR would sound mad different even if Mark played the exact same notes and lines as what Tom played for that album. Different people playing guitars but the same lines, notes, riffs etc does make a difference even if using the same exact guitar and tones.

• Like 2