Jump to content
 

New generation of pop punk


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Lmao it's not going strong anymore, in the 2010s it was basically dead. There's just a million indie alt bands now zzzzzz. I don't know why this fringe genre is still around, it got boring like 10 years ago.

You know you're wrong when the resident pedophile takes your side.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

do we even have members under 18 here? don't tell feeling_this...

Travis and MGK did the album live,   

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

You know you're wrong when the resident pedophile takes your side.

Yes that's you and you're wrong again! Hopefully the 2020s has more variety than boring indie bands that all sound the same. It would take a lifetime to listen to all the bad/boring albums released in the last 10 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Yes that's you and you're wrong again! Hopefully the 2020s has more variety than boring indie bands that all sound the same. It would take a lifetime to listen to all the bad/boring albums released in the last 10 years

I thought old people were supposed to be wise ... you're like the deficient that lived ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

The guy gets erect for the new SW trilogy and California, what do you expect?

California and Tickets to My Downfall...possibly the only two pop punk albums worth a damn in the last decade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Nothing about MGK is genuine or believable lol

I believe a lot of his lyrics...he’s young, irresponsible, and reckless. Why would substance abuse and anxiety be disbelievable? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I believe a lot of his lyrics...he’s young, irresponsible, and reckless. Why would substance abuse and anxiety be disbelievable? 

Those subjects do tend to be trendy when trying to portray yourself as an outsider. Its been that way for decades all across mediums.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

Those subjects do tend to be trendy when trying to portray yourself as an outsider. Its been that way for decades all across mediums.

Definitely, but he clearly lives that lifestyle. I watched the making of Bloody Valentine on YouTube and he’s smoking blunts in the studio nonstop. There’s nothing about his persona and lyrics that would seem disbelievable IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Definitely, but he clearly lives that lifestyle. I watched the making of Bloody Valentine on YouTube and he’s smoking blunts in the studio nonstop. There’s nothing about his persona and lyrics that would seem disbelievable IMO.

Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about the guy. I've only ever heard the Bloody Valentine song because it was on THPS1+2. It's a decent enough song, I was blown away by it our anything and I don't have any want to delve further into his work but I bob my head along nonetheless. That's okay too ... more power to the guy ... go out there, live the life you wanna live and get paid to do it. Good on him. I can't comment on his music or pop punk in the same vein ... its just not my style, it's not meant for me. I mean, I can comment ... and I will but I have no authority in the matter. People should like what they like and hate what they hate and stop worrying about 34 year old dad-bodded, failed-musicians. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t blink his favorite band? Doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to want to make music in the genre of your favorite band, especially with one of the members of that band.

anyway yeah I actually agree MGK made one of the best pop punk albums of recent years. I haven’t liked much recent pop punk at all lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NotNow said:

The label could have written tickets to my downfall for all I care. I don’t give a fuck if the album rips...

Yep. Just give me some good music I enjoy. Doesn’t bother me if there’s extra hands in there helping make it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Yep. Just give me some good music I enjoy. Doesn’t bother me if there’s extra hands in there helping make it.

I think I'm mostly picky because it's a genre I'm rooted in. Blink and Green Day were the only real pop punk acts of that genre I liked growing up and I defended them a lot from my "punk-as-fuck" friends ... who are now mostly into shitty folk bands. Back then blink and Green Day stood apart from the other shitty coattail bands that popped up. Pop punk then, and now, always had a different meaning to me that was more connected with the underground than MTV or radio. That's not an elitist pov, I don't mean it like that ... they just had that same, one of the gang energy to them. Now, though, both those bands lost that energy for me and I exclude them from my pop punk classification. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

I think I'm mostly picky because it's a genre I'm rooted in. Blink and Green Day were the only real pop punk acts of that genre I liked growing up and I defended them a lot from my "punk-as-fuck" friends ... who are now mostly into shitty folk bands. Back then blink and Green Day stood apart from the other shitty coattail bands that popped up. Pop punk then, and now, always had a different meaning to me that was more connected with the underground than MTV or radio. That's not an elitist pov, I don't mean it like that ... they just had that same, one of the gang energy to them. Now, though, both those bands lost that energy for me and I exclude them from my pop punk classification. 

Yeah that’s cool. I respect that. I just don’t care or worry about scenes or genres anymore. I just want music I enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been quite a few great pop punk/punk rock albums in the last decade IMO, but MGK ain't one of them. He had like 2 good songs on his. The rest were just boring for me.

I'm outspoken about my love for Nine. Thought that was a great album, so I consider that one as one of my favourites.

blink-182 - Nine
Creeper - Eternity, In Your Arms
Bad Religion - Dissent of Man
Hot Water Music - Light It Up
Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven (my favourite of the last decade)
Trophy Eyes - American Dream

Three of those are older bands, one of them is just over 10 years old and another two were formed in the 2010's. It's a nice balance. Older bands are still going strong and releasing a great album from time to time and new bands are popping up with some killer records too.

Nothing, Nowhere. released a quality EP with Travis back in 2019 too, although he's like a blend of emo rap, hip hop and pop punk. Hopefully whenever his next album comes out, it's as good as that EP. I reckon this guy writes way better songs than MGK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

There's been quite a few great pop punk/punk rock albums in the last decade IMO, but MGK ain't one of them. He had like 2 good songs on his. The rest were just boring for me.

I'm outspoken about my love for Nine. Thought that was a great album, so I consider that one as one of my favourites.

blink-182 - Nine
Creeper - Eternity, In Your Arms
Bad Religion - Dissent of Man
Hot Water Music - Light It Up
Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven (my favourite of the last decade)
Trophy Eyes - American Dream

Three of those are older bands, one of them is just over 10 years old and another two were formed in the 2010's. It's a nice balance. Older bands are still going strong and releasing a great album from time to time and new bands are popping up with some killer records too.

Nothing, Nowhere. released a quality EP with Travis back in 2019 too, although he's like a blend of emo rap, hip hop and pop punk. Hopefully whenever his next album comes out, it's as good as that EP. I reckon this guy writes way better songs than MGK.

Lyrically, you can't go wrong with most of the albums put out by the Menzingers and Spanish Love Songs in the last decade. On the Impossible Past, Rented World, After the Party, Brave Faces Everyone, and Schmaltz are all great punk/pop-punk albums. Those have been the bands that have filled the void that vintage Blink left for me. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

https://www.facebook.com/machinegunkellymusic/videos/729349857720441/

This is pretty fucking cool. Good way to listen to the album again with some teen drama in between.

Travis kid is in it. And Sydney Sweeney is absolutely stunning so worth a watch if you got the time.

Watched about 5 minutes, but it's 4am and there's no way I can watch the whole thing right now, but I really like the idea of something like this. Would be cool to see more artists run with this idea. Def gonna come back to watch this during the day sometime haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...