AVA General Discussion

My issue with WDNTW is mostly toms vocals and lyrics but musically it wasn't the instrumentation or the production, (hell the synth abuse was quite minimal on this record) it was actually the arrangement choices - songs would have great builds that would just fizzle out like a wet fart. It was like constantly getting turned on and then being dashed with cold water before you could come. That opening track is best example of that, you get all that build and theeeen the verse just trudges in like hot garbage. 

I actually think if the songs were restructured and were completely instrumental, I'd fucking love it. But it's not. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

eat your heart out.

Interesting stuff Ghost.   As a long-time lurker though, I think I can already see how the thread continues when the album drops.   KEVIN: I haven't heard it yet, but there's no way this album is

Put the +44 album on there just for shits and gigs.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

My issue with WDNTW is mostly toms vocals and lyrics but musically it wasn't the instrumentation or the production, (hell the synth abuse was quite minimal on this record) it was actually the arrangement choices - songs would have great builds that would just fizzle out like a wet fart. It was like constantly getting turned on and then being dashed with cold water before you could come. That opening track is best example of that, you get all that build and theeeen the verse just trudges in like hot garbage. 

I actually think if the songs were restructured and were completely instrumental, I'd fucking love it. But it's not. 

Isn't this a problem with every AVA album though?  It's honestly part of their "style" lol.

7 minutes ago, Kay said:

I disagree with most of this. I thought the album was and, still is, great. The only thing I'd nix is the long stupid intros. I don't care about lyrics, personally, if I was looking for poetic and profound lyrics I wouldn't be listening to anything from the Blink camp anyway. This album is great and Tom still had a good voice for it. The trash that came after was a bummer and AvA should have died with this being a one off, like Box Car.

20 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Isn't this a problem with every AVA album though?  It's honestly part of their "style" lol.

Pretty much lol but it's less blatant in their later stuff. 

8 hours ago, Speedo said:

I disagree with most of this. I thought the album was and, still is, great. The only thing I'd nix is the long stupid intros. I don't care about lyrics, personally, if I was looking for poetic and profound lyrics I wouldn't be listening to anything from the Blink camp anyway. This album is great and Tom still had a good voice for it. The trash that came after was a bummer and AvA should have died with this being a one off, like Box Car.

On the first album-(I can never remember that title) anyway, I agree about the intros. 

As for lyrics, well now maybe I'm thinking more on I-Empire with this, but I believe the lyrics are what most attract me. I mean, while I LOVE some songs and have come to love or like others, this like "space rock" is not really my thing. I mean, I could even say this about a lot of Pink Floyd too, but it's the deeper meaning behind some of the songs that I like.

Heck! I could even say that about Blink! Well, I mean, Enema music I dug right off, but the lyrics sealed the deal (that's pretty typical of my musical interests actually, minus instrumental music). Nowadays, I really liked listening to Chesire Cat, for example, but had I heard it back in the day, I may not have gotten so into it had the lyrics not appealed to me. I wasn't ever really big on punk, t bh. I guess it was the pop aspect that helped here. Irony being that I'm not too into pop music much either, well, not now anyway. Lol

But back to AVA- Tom's voice. What an interesting topic! I think he's just hit or miss in every era. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, but his performances aren't always great. I think he's been getting lessons now though, so that's promising! I don't mind that his voice has "matured", but teen me did relate better to his more youthful sound. I could sing along! Nowadays, I appreciate the lower range more, but actually prefer the variance, and I think he can still do that, or do it well enough. I'm really looking forward to hearing more current live recordings. I'd like to think he's actually improved as a singer, and am kinda happy to hear he's not drinking or drinking as much. It was most unfortunate that his performance was pretty sloppy, tbh, the one time I actually got to see Blink live in 2001. I had such high expectations. But it wasn't like their main tour, so maybe he just didn't care as much for this one off show. I dunno! Why am I bringing up this depressing shit?! Lol Smh

6 minutes ago, Tombomb said:

This tonight. :D

Haha man I was just watching this tonight as well. What a nostalgic journey, love it. Wish Tom still had the musical passion now that he had then. Sucks that it was fueled by pain pills but still...

• Like 1

That first verse in Valkyrie Missile is like the biggest anti climax ever. First that teaser they posted of the outro of the song, then that build up (that bass riff is fucking great), and then the song pops on and all the momentum just goes away. It feels like the intro should have been part of a different song tbh. I definitely like the production on I-Empire more than WDNTW though

My favorite album of theirs is love part 2 closely followed by part 1.
Oh yeah, if we're talking about build ups and intros of albums, Love part 1 is where they got it right! 

Shameless plug for those who follow this thread, I interviewed AVA's Tour Manager Jeffrey Pereira (he's also tour manager for Jimmy Eat World, and one of Tom's close friends). Some rad insight into AVA land, Part 2 focuses a ton on the last tour as well:

Available on Apple/Spotify/Google/iHeart/etc. Here is YouTube:

• Love 1

It Hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hur....

Spent the morning watching and rewatching bits of this. Goddamn Tom!

Oh, and the band itself obviously kicks ass. I mean, they really are a spectacular live band, but Tom is just so sexy! Idfc if his moves are kinda awkward. Still hott! And his vocals are on point for once too! ;)

Ok, ok. I'm done. I promise!... (for now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

oh shoot, I almost forgot!!!

Got to have a little chat with Matt Rubano on Twitter the other day! I mean, that was pretty awesome, if you ask me! I'd never spoken to anyone famous on there before.

And naturally, I just HAD to ask him to say hi to Tom! 😜

18 minutes ago, Tombomb said:

Question- are there just the 3 short films for the Whisper album? And if so, wtheck?! I want to know what happens in the story!

... There's a story? 

1 minute ago, Kay said:

... There's a story? 

Well, I know, the vids don't make a whole lot of sense, but there is some sort of running theme with the same actors,..i just personally really love this album and would dig having visual for it all. Heheh I know we disagree somewhat here tho. 

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Part 2 of my convo with AVA’s tour manager. Must listen for AVA/Tom fans, some incredible insight into how the last tour came together, Tom’s emotional state, and where they are with the new album:

18 minutes in-yeah, this is really cool! To hear about all the band members, the inside scoop with what we already know...it just really seems like a great group! To be a fly on that wall! ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, Tombomb said:

Well, I know, the vids don't make a whole lot of sense, but there is some sort of running theme with the same actors,..i just personally really love this album and would dig having visual for it all. Heheh I know we disagree somewhat here tho. 

They were planning to do a video for every song IIRC but the hype didn't really pick up on it. A lot of plans with AVA seemed to have gone down that route

• Sad 1