The Tom Delonge Thread

Shit Poster

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I just cracked up at the thought of Travis Barker getting pissed off and screaming insults at young Ilan whenever he makes the slightest mistake that barely anyone would notice during one of the lessons (like the teacher does with the drummer in that movie). Wasn't he Ilan's drum teacher for a bit?

Yes. Funny I was just posting about that at the same time you were. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Ilan is just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom with being involved (perhaps a little too much) in the songwriting. 

What you say about him thinking AVA and Tom's songwriting in general is lame and stuff is probably true, most people in the heavier rock department is biig musical elitists. 

Not really dude. He was in Nine Inch Nails before AVA, and NIN is infinitely larger than AVA. He also was in a band with the dudes from Fenix TX prior to that. He was already well known in the industry before Tom. 

EDIT- YUCK. Apparently he was also drumming for Lostprophets at one point. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

Not really dude. He was in Nine Inch Nails before AVA, and NIN is infinitely larger than AVA. He also was in a band with the dudes from Fenix TX prior to that. He was already well known in the industry before Tom. 

EDIT- YUCK. Apparently he was also drumming for Lostprophets at one point. 

He doesn't have one single writing credit for Nine Inch Nails.. 

1 minute ago, twentytwenty said:

He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an official member of NIN. He is literally in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the youngest person ever in history. Tom is not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and certainly never will be (at least with AVA).

*Drops mic*

12 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

Coincidentally enough, Travis was actually one of his teachers when he was younger. I remember seeing Ilan on a national TV show around the TOYPAJ era. I can't for the life of me remember what the show was, but the premise was something along the lines of guess which person actually knows a celebrity or something like that. 

I knew he took lessons from Travis, but I thought it was during the +44 years. This means he was taking these lessons at 13 because he's only 33 now. It's crazy. 

3 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

And how does that even matter? You said he is "just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom." LOL, he already was in a much bigger and more successful band prior to joining up with Tom. He was already in the industry doing his thing, you're acting like the only reason he exists is because of Tom. Tom just happens to be the only reason YOU know of him. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an official member of NIN. He is literally in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the youngest person ever in history. Tom is not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and certainly never will be (at least with AVA).

*Drops mic*

That's the equivalent of a bench warmer getting a championship ring. 

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I knew he took lessons from Travis, but I thought it was during the +44 years. This means he was taking these lessons at 13 because he's only 33 now. It's crazy. 

I just read an interview and he said he was 10 or 11. His memory could be off a little as well. But either way, about that age, young as hell! 

Here's the link , he doesn't say much about it: 

http://en.blink182forever.com/news/3655/interview-with-ilan-rubin-about-travis-barker-e-the-dream-walker-creative-process/

• Like 1

Just now, Speedo said:

That's the equivalent of a bench warmer getting a championship ring. 

That is true. But that's not the point. The point is dude already existed and was doing his thing before Tom. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

*Drops mic*

I won't argue with you, we clearly have different views on this. And you'll pick that mic up again.

1 minute ago, twentytwenty said:

I won't argue with you, we clearly have different views on this. 

Dudeeeee. Lol, he already was playing with a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame band prior to Tom. Now he is playing with Tom. You can't say with a straight face that Tom made him or gave him his shot. That's not true dude. If so, how?

3 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

That is true. But that's not the point. The point is dude already existed and was doing his thing before Tom. 

I'll kick your fucking ass, toast boy!

Just now, Texas Toast said:

Dudeeeee. Lol, he already was playing with a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame band prior to Tom. Now he is playing with Tom. You can't say with a straight face that Tom made him or gave him his shot. That's not true dude. If so, how?

You know, he also did session work with Paramore prior to AVA. That doesn't change that Tom gave him the first big shot with writing with an accomplished songwriter/artist. 

2 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

You know, he also did session work with Paramore prior to AVA. That doesn't change that Tom gave him the first big shot with writing with an accomplished songwriter/artist. 

How's it a big shot? He recorded drums and albums with NIN. Just because he plays guitar as well with Tom doesn't mean much. He doesn't own the AVA name or brand, Tom does. So all he has done is collaborate with Tom, just like he collaborated with Trent Reznir who is a lot more known than your Lord and Savior Tom Delonge. 

Just now, Texas Toast said:

How's it a big shot? He recorded drums and albums with NIN. Just because he plays guitar as well with Tom doesn't mean much. He doesn't own the AVA name or brand, Tom does. So all he has done is collaborate with Tom, just like he collaborated with Trent Reznir who is a not more known than your Lord and Savior Tom Delonge. 

Because, he got a shot at writing. Dude, you're messing with me right? 

2 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Because, he got a shot at writing. Dude, you're messing with me right? 

I can see and respect your point. Also, I guess I am not sure if he ever recorded for NIN. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texas Toast said:

I can see and respect your point. Also, I guess I am not sure if he ever recorded for NIN. 

According to discogs, he has credits on three songs on their 2013 album. Nothing more though, and those credit is sketchy as hell tbh, I could feel that way because I haven't heard the songs though.

Copy Of A - Drums [Toms] – Ilan Rubin
Came Back Haunted - Drums [Toms] – Ilan Rubin
I Would For You - Drums [Live] – Ilan Rubin

I’ll add that toms lyrics became nonsensical with Love. The first two albums were more philosophical than his previous lyrics but were still grounded in reality. His lyrics following those albums became completely nonsensical outside of the blink work and a couple songs here and there. Makes it hard to connect and feel like the music has any meaning to you even if the instrumentation and melody is impactful. This album so far is at least a step in the right direction with being able to discern general meanings of songs, but a lot of individual lyrics are still nonsensical crap.

• Like 3