Jump to content
 

The blink 182 general discussion topic


Ari
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, boxelder said:

for those who like this era: isn’t it weird to see “blink” marketed as solely mark and travis, with no matt to speak of? matt, mark and trav feels like a very fractured pairing IMO

It’s definitely a little weird but at the same time it doesn’t bother me. This Oliver tree guy talks about growing up being a huge fan of blink-182. When he dreamt about working with blink it was Mark, Tom and Travis not Matt. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of these collabs had actually just reached out to Mark or Travis and they just slap the blink name on for brand recognition. Also I’m assuming this was recorded during lockdown and as Mark said the other day Matt doesn’t have the means available to record at home like he and Travis does so it kinda makes Matt wasn’t able to be involved in this one.

Personally I don’t care about these collabs at all. I’m one of the bigger new-era fans and I haven’t to any of them more than once. They mean nothing to me so if it’s just Mark and Travis then I don’t really care. If they start doing blink shows as a two piece or something then I’ll start being bothered by it. I definitely see what you’re saying but it just doesn’t bother me personally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

This Oliver tree guy talks about growing up being a huge fan of blink-182.

i just checked out the song. had never heard of the guy. not my cup of tea. but the tom-riff-off-rip-offs, do we know if matt played them or mark? is skibba on the track?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It’s definitely a little weird but at the same time it doesn’t bother me. This Oliver tree guy talks about growing up being a huge fan of blink-182. When he dreamt about working with blink it was Mark, Tom and Travis not Matt. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of these collabs had actually just reached out to Mark or Travis and they just slap the blink name on for brand recognition. Also I’m assuming this was recorded during lockdown and as Mark said the other day Matt doesn’t have the means available to record at home like he and Travis does so it kinda makes Matt wasn’t able to be involved in this one.

Personally I don’t care about these collabs at all. I’m one of the bigger new-era fans and I haven’t to any of them more than once. They mean nothing to me so if it’s just Mark and Travis then I don’t really care. If they start doing blink shows as a two piece or something then I’ll start being bothered by it. I definitely see what you’re saying but it just doesn’t bother me personally.

It's not real Blink without Skiba. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i just checked out the song. had never heard of the guy. not my cup of tea. but the tom-riff-off-rip-offs, do we know if matt played them or mark? is skibba on the track?

I don’t think we can say with 100% certainty Matt wasn’t involved but all signs point to him not being part of it. The image that accompanied the song just had Mark and Travis. Seems like no skiba.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if we’re ever gonna get a concrete answer from blink about why Matt isn’t in any of the collabs. I doubt it. They have to know that the fans notice. If it was just one collab without Matt I wouldn’t think anything of it but it’s all of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I don’t think we can say with 100% certainty Matt wasn’t involved but all signs point to him not being part of it. The image that accompanied the song just had Mark and Travis. Seems like no skiba.

No we can say with 100% certainty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NotNow said:

No we can say with 100% certainty.

Well you can’t. Not without word from everyone involved saying he had no part in it. The song credits on Spotify say “blink-182” not just “Mark Hoppus/Travis Barker”. We can be 99% sure since it definitely seems like he wasn’t but 100% needs a little more. But I don’t believe he is part of it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Well you can’t. Not without word from everyone involved saying he had no part in it. The song credits on Spotify say “blink-182” not just “Mark Hoppus/Travis Barker”. We can be 99% sure since it definitely seems like he wasn’t but 100% needs a little more. But I don’t believe he is part of it at all.

Because they have literally said Matt was not involved in the other collabs. The chainsmokers, scumbag, it’s all fading to black. They all say “blink-182”. And they’re all just mark or mark and Travis. It’s literally mark and Travis on the cover. I don’t think you need confirmation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with Scott. This song is absolute trash and yet has another Adam's Song riff added to it. I only first heard of this Oliver Tree dude yesterday and I just knew from his image that I wouldn't like the song. The XXXTentacion one is the best one by far and the only decent one iMO. I did like the Chainsmokers one at first but the singer's voice just grated on me and it was made worse by the robotic effects. That Goody Grace song is just boring asf. Travis' collabs with MGK, Halsey and that are far better.

Although they technically aren't blink songs, I hope these tracks aren't what the Nine EP with the collabs on are gonna sound like. I prefer the collabs that have their own solo names added to it. That Amy Shark featuring Mark Hoppus track is so much better. The Say Anything track that features Tom on it is so much better. The tracks that Travis works on with rappers are so much better (the ones with that guy called nothing, nowhere are actually really good). The ones with the blink-182 name as brand recognition are trash.

This won't ever happen but I just wanna hear a bad ass blink song with Skiba taking charge and someone like Robert Smith, Kanye West or Tim Armstrong appearing on them and actually complimenting the song unlike what Yelawolf did for PLG. Hell I'd take MGK or the ATL/Simple Creatures guy on a blink track rather than these lame ass try hard singers that dress like they belong in a Disney movie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

when i listen to blink nowadays compared to their older stuff it just sounds like a completely different band to me. not that that's a bad thing at all i love skibba and i love tom they just sound so different especially with NINE. Some days i'll be hyped to listen to skibbas "OH OHHHS" all throughout california and others i love to hear toms scratchy "I KNOW THAT EVERYTHING" voice on dude ranch ya know? both blinks are great in different ways and i'm glad to see them so happy and active again.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

I think the only way we will ever know what this version of blink 182 would truly sound like without all the extra writers and whatnot is if we can somehow get blink 182 to collaborate with alkaline trio. I’m not joking.

They could have called themselves a different name from the start, but it would be too awkward to do now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2020 at 6:37 PM, NotNow said:

Because they have literally said Matt was not involved in the other collabs. The chainsmokers, scumbag, it’s all fading to black. They all say “blink-182”. And they’re all just mark or mark and Travis. It’s literally mark and Travis on the cover. I don’t think you need confirmation.

Matt was invited to work on the Chainsmokers collab though and this video shows him there with everybody while they're working on the song. He obviously was way less involved than Mark and Travis but he was there being involved.

So if your 100% certainty Matt had no involvement with this song is shown to be wrong then why is it so wrong to say that we can't say with 100% certainty Matt had no involvement with the latest one? I still don't believe he had a single part to do with it and will continue to assume he didn't but we cant say with absolute certainty he didn't because we all assumed he didn't for the chainsmokers song but then that was proven wrong. All i did was answer Davey's question as correctly as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like a lot of these are just so quick and so random that they don’t even want to waste Matt’s time, given that he has already gone above and beyond everything asked of him. Send the peeps a quick verse, and of course it’s a no brainer to say it’s “ft. blink-182” for both sides. Harmless win/win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...