The blink 182 general discussion topic

Ari

4 hours ago, chinchillas said:

Mark looks good old (now) that he's fully embraced it.  I would still listen to pop punk by that man.   Much better than the fro-hawk thing that held place for so long.

his hair grew back from chemo naturally gray. and he's growing it out into his old style by the look of it.

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Are there any blink-182 songs outside of What’s My Age Again that have different lyrics in every chorus? I wish that was a more common thing in popular music in general.

I very frequently write my choruses like that, because it’s a fun excercise, but it’s a little counter intuitive if you’re trying to write one that’s catchy and memorable because you are changing what the casual audience can remember and sing along to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Are there any blink-182 songs outside of What’s My Age Again that have different lyrics in every chorus? I wish that was a more common thing in popular music in general.

The Mr. T Experience do this in every chorus. Untitled and Apple Shampoo I think too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

The only one that comes to mind is Waggy where the first chorus (I think you need some time alone) is different from the other one (I don't wanna live this lie again

Edit: And The Party Song too, but Waggy is a better example because the lyrics are completely different. In The Party Song and WMAA the lyrics are just slightly different in each chorus. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kay said:

I very frequently write my choruses like that, because it’s a fun excercise, but it’s a little counter intuitive if you’re trying to write one that’s catchy and memorable because you are changing what the casual audience can remember and sing along to.

That's true, but considering one of blink's most successful and well-known songs did it, I'm surprised they haven't tried it more often!

5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

That's true, but considering one of blink's most successful and well-known songs did it, I'm surprised they haven't tried it more often!

to be fair it's quite subtle in WMAA and I guarantee random radio listeners don't know the actual words and just go "uh TWENTY THREE" haha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kay said:

to be fair it's quite subtle in WMAA and I guarantee random radio listeners don't know the actual words and just go "uh TWENTY THREE" haha

Everybody knows the song and that it goes "I walk alone, to get the feeling right"

• Haha 2

I do like when they change the chorus lyrics.  I wish I could remember all the songs that do that, but Blink's obviously stand out.  Carseat Headrest - fill in the blank.

I always liked how Smells Like Teen Spirit changes it up at the end.

Oh, R Kelly - Trapped in the closet.  Most changes to a song award goes to this gem.

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I've actually always thought it was weird how few demos or unfinished tracks we've gotten from blink over the years. I feel like every other band I love releases a lot more of that kind of thing.

Hmmm a Blink B-sides/Demos collection would make a whole lot of sense right about now...

• Give fans something new inbetween albums - Check
  • Reward longtime fans by giving us something to obsess over - Check
  • Get Blink back in the limelight after a couple years away - Check
  • Victory lap/walk down memory lane for Mark after a shitty cancer ordeal - Check
  • Get Tom involved in selecting the tracks, slowly nudging the band back together or at least giving them a trial run to see how it feels to work on something fun with low stakes - Check

In the past they've talked about how they don't really have any leftover material, so I don't think we're ever going to hear any full mixed/mastered songs that were recorded but left off the albums. But it would be incredible to hear early acoustic demos, pre-production versions of songs, alternate arrangements, etc. It's obvious from watching the Album Launch documentary that they were recording TONS of ideas during the Untitled album alone, I would love to hear more of that kind of stuff someday.

And if Mark, Tom, and Travis really went all out and wrote some liner notes together or did a couple interviews about it, who knows where it could lead? I think that kind of "reunion" is a lot more likely next step than Tom suddenly being back in the band recording new music or going on tour.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Hmmm a Blink B-sides/Demos collection would make a whole lot of sense right about now...

• Give fans something new inbetween albums - Check
  • Reward longtime fans by giving us something to obsess over - Check
  • Get Blink back in the limelight after a couple years away - Check
  • Victory lap/walk down memory lane for Mark after a shitty cancer ordeal - Check
  • Get Tom involved in selecting the tracks, slowly nudging the band back together or at least giving them a trial run to see how it feels to work on something fun with low stakes - Check

In the past they've talked about how they don't really have any leftover material, so I don't think we're ever going to hear any full mixed/mastered songs that were recorded but left off the albums. But it would be incredible to hear early acoustic demos, pre-production versions of songs, alternate arrangements, etc. It's obvious from watching the Album Launch documentary that they were recording TONS of ideas during the Untitled album alone, I would love to hear more of that kind of stuff someday.

And if Mark, Tom, and Travis really went all out and wrote some liner notes together or did a couple interviews about it, who knows where it could lead? I think that kind of "reunion" is a lot more likely next step than Tom suddenly being back in the band recording new music or going on tour.

great points,

yes i too always wondered about lack of b-sides/demos

i was always under the impression that mark and tom didnt over-write and mostly released everything that was decent and the rest got discarded early on before it became any sort of full or near complete songs(like riffs)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, just_bringing_good_chats said:

great points,

yes i too always wondered about lack of b-sides/demos

i was always under the impression that mark and tom didnt over-write and mostly released everything that was decent and the rest got discarded early on before it became any sort of full or near complete songs(like riffs)

Yup, in the early days their albums had 14-16 tracks which makes me think they pretty much used everything (especially since they re-recorded a few of them), then a few other random songs were in EPs/compilations. In the glory years we've heard the Enema pre-production demos which had one leftover instrumental song (Life's So Boring), TOYPAJ had the secret bonus tracks that we've all heard, and Untitled had Not Now. Other than that, the only finished song that I can vaguely remember hearing about was one that Mark wrote about his son, I think? Which was either for Untitled or Neighborhoods.

But yeah, unfinished scraps, demo versions, alt lyric versions, I'll take it all.