The Tom Delonge Thread

Shit Poster

8 minutes ago, hotpantsdelonge said:

i don't think tom would stoop as low as using mark's cancer to promote the album. he repeats a lot of the things he says in every interview these days. he probably also knows that everyone is always happy to hear when mark is doing well or whether the two of them have talked recently. i don't know. just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt

It’s not about him intentionally using it as a PR talking point. It’s about social cues and reading the situation on what is appropriate to discuss. Other people aren’t talking about his cancer for him, including Travis who actually is still close and in a band with Mark.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Wow, we're on page 1000

Anyway, here's an interview with Guitar World where Tom proudly says he hasn't a clue what gear he uses anymore because computers do everything. 

to guitar world.

Fucking moron at times.

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/features/angels-and-airwaves-lifeforms

What’s so moronic about what he said about the gear?

29 minutes ago, kibbles said:

Most people don't read or come across every interview he does. People ask him about it he responds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, it’s not that he’s asked about it, it’s how he answers.

Also he’s posted things unprompted on instagram about it like a text conversation with Mark which sounded like an announcement he was beating it before Mark had really said anything.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Again, it’s not that he’s asked about it, it’s how he answers.

Also he’s posted things unprompted on instagram about it like a text conversation with Mark which sounded like an announcement he was beating it before Mark had really said anything.

How do you know what’s unprompted or not, are you close to either of them?

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

It’s not about him intentionally using it as a PR talking point. It’s about social cues and reading the situation on what is appropriate to discuss. Other people aren’t talking about his cancer for him, including Travis who actually is still close and in a band with Mark.

there have literally been thousands of strangers discussing mark's situation for months now. and some have been particularly obnoxious about it, saying and asking him things that are obviously a little too much or too personal. i'm sure he's okay with tom, someone he has actually known for three decades, talking about it as positively as he can..? but i guess that's just my view.

3 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

You really think Mark asked Tom to post screenshots of their text conversations? Cmon dude.

For real. I hate when people play this card. Like no shit I don’t know them. These are inferences I’m making. But it’s more logical that Mark didn’t ask Tom to post a screenshot of their conversation about something Mark hasn’t been open about. If Mark thought it was a cool exchange to share, he would have posted it himself.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

What’s so moronic about what he said about the gear?

Seems dumb a man with over 20+ years of fame being linked to being a guitarist to openly admit to a guitar specific reporter that he thinks computers are magic and are more important than all gear and that he apparently doesn't even play on the record he's promoting or even knows what guitars are used on it. 

Baffling to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Clips of every song are out now? I still haven’t heard quite a few of them. Don’t know if I want to hear any more than I already have before I get to listen to the full album. Do we know when it’s supposed to be released? Obviously I haven’t been following this very closely lol.

It's out in like 2 weeks, Sept 24th. 

I haven't listened to clips, don't see the point. 

• Like 1

In relation to that stupid New Order-argument heres another one. People in the comments who have an interest in science shoots down Delonges take on something called the double-split experiment. Im way to dumb to care about it but seems like in general he's the type of guy who reads something in an encyclopedia for 4 pages and suddenly thinks he knows everything and makes actual scientists unnesscary. You would think constantly stating something and being called out on it being wrong over time would change how he rolls, but apparently not.  Think before you speak your mind goddamit. eeeurghh

• Like 1

It's terrifying how many people in the comments think he's a genius or musical mastermind.

We're hardcore blink heads and in some cases AVA fans and we are still very aware that he's a fucking wacko, are these people actually nuts? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've criticised blink for doing this in California & Nine and I've given Tom a pass due to me feeling that Ilan's spot in AVA is a different situation compared to Feldman & blink. I can't help but feel Lifeforms shares similar flaws though. Sounds like Tom hasn't even recorded a single guitar part for this album. He might've wrote the guitar parts but I wanna be hearing him actually play it.

Just let Ilan stick to the drums. The brothers are quickly become the main guys in AVA now. Tom's role now is almost like Patrick in Fall Out Boy.

Looks like every single clip is out too and none of them have that skate punk AVA styled song that we heard from like a year ago or that BCR styled song. Tom is mental if he's chosen songs like Euphoria, Spellbound & Restless Souls to be on the album over those two.

That BCR sounding song must've been the BCR song he's recently been talking about because that's the only thing that makes sense for not being on the AVA album, as it sounds way better than anything I've heard so far. I know it was a 20 second clip or something, but there's just no way that the rest of the Lifeforms songs are better except maybe Time Bomb. That's my opinion anyway.

This album is literally gonna be AVA's version of California (not in the sound but the recording process). There will be some awesome songs but there will be loads of shite as well. Time Bomb does sound awesome though. I've loved every clip of it and I love what I've heard from their live performances. But man, this album is gonna annoy me as much as California did.

• Like 1

If they scrapped the skate punk and the BCR song from the album, I'll be extremely pissed off.  
Reading that interview last night though, I think Euphoria is probably the song that sounds like BCR in his head, since he said that it was written trying mix pop punk with a post-hardcore sound. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I've criticised blink for doing this in California & Nine and I've given Tom a pass due to me feeling that Ilan's spot in AVA is a different situation compared to Feldman & blink. I can't help but feel Lifeforms shares similar flaws though. Sounds like Tom hasn't even recorded a single guitar part for this album. He might've wrote the guitar parts but I wanna be hearing him actually play it.

Just let Ilan stick to the drums. The brothers are quickly become the main guys in AVA now. Tom's role now is almost like Patrick in Fall Out Boy.

Looks like every single clip is out too and none of them have that skate punk AVA styled song that we heard from like a year ago or that BCR styled song. Tom is mental if he's chosen songs like Euphoria, Spellbound & Restless Souls to be on the album over those two.

That BCR sounding song must've been the BCR song he's recently been talking about because that's the only thing that makes sense for not being on the AVA album, as it sounds way better than anything I've heard so far. I know it was a 20 second clip or something, but there's just no way that the rest of the Lifeforms songs are better except maybe Time Bomb. That's my opinion anyway.

This album is literally gonna be AVA's version of California (not in the sound but the recording process). There will be some awesome songs but there will be loads of shite as well. Time Bomb does sound awesome though. I've loved every clip of it and I love what I've heard from their live performances. But man, this album is gonna annoy me as much as California did.

I honestly couldn't care less about the supposed punk / BCR style song he mentioned. It's Tom, guaranteed if he thought it sounded like that it probably didn't and sounded like ass. Odds and ends kind of proves he can't really write like that anymore. 

Ilan has been his writing partner for years now so that doesn't particularly upset me, but I do find the comment suspicious. I can understand having someone else play a second rhythm track, people play differently so it could make it more sonically interesting in the mix (I've done this with other guitarists in the past, it's weird but really works) but if it's *only* Ilan than I'm angry. 

That being said, it's not a particularly guitar heavy album and I love a lot of what I've heard. 

Unlike California, this doesn't sound like a forced attempt to "sound" a certain way or appeal to a certain demographic, it seems more like Tom working with other musicians and creating stuff he likes and that I'm okay with. 

Mostly though I just think he's nuts. 

• Like 2