The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Looked back at some of AVA's stuff...Atom Willard was really the only redeeming quality of this stuff.

AVA isn't terrible.  Yes they have a lot of boring ass tunes, but even their worst songs aren't bad, they just aren't good, and the same is true for most of the songs.  But there are some really great gems here and there if I'm being honest.  I think Heaven is one of the best things Tom has ever written.  Atom isn't the only redeeming quality of this stuff,but he is a very strong player in what made them good here and there.  The biggest flaw of AVA is how much time Tom spends with it.  If Tom treated it as a side project, and worked on songs only here and there, he'd be more able to tell what songs to include, and which ones to drop.  When he puts so much time in the band, he probably never takes a second to step away from the music and really question if the song he's working on is any good.  If AVA only had 2 albums by this point of only the best songs they've recorded across those 4 albums and EP, then I'd probably look at AVA as a very good band akin to how I view Boxcar Racer and +44. 

• Like 1

Anyone remember that Macbeth advert that seemed like a really romantic date then ended with the girl offering the guy a blow job? It was hilarious. Definitely need to find it now...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RXOBt2Ocs

• Like 2

They are terrible. Most songs are just simply bad songs. Three biggest offenders are, overstuffed with synths, just plain horrible lyrics, boring ass guitar parts.

Heaven is definitely not an exception.

Its all just opinion.  I love AVA and think Heaven is one of their best songs

Listened to more AVA...

Angels and Airwaves is a cool idea that has been filled with arrogance. All this production is put over every song as to attempt to cover up the simplistic rock music. Tom sings every word as if he's just made a humanity-changing discovery. However, he is not doing that and it just sounds like he is obsessed with himself. It doesn't feel natural so it feels fake...which of course brings the whole thing down.

Tom clearly had a cool idea here, and sometimes it does come together. The Adventure is a decent song, but most songs do not feel as complete as that one. If you liked that song and actually decided to look into a full album, you would find a cool part here or there spliced inside of minutes of "ethereal" crap where Tom pretends he is an astronaut or something. It is rare that you find a song that feels composed, or even finished...

AVA is a band that could've had a unique sound and maybe even a moving emotional message behind it. However, every song is held back by Tom's odd belief that the band can do no wrong. So, you get four albums and an EP where there probably should've been two albums full of actually complete songs.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

AVA is all marketing, no substance. While it may have been a good idea, Tom was too selfish and musically limited to pull off such a project, despite having the support of a lot of blink carryover fans initially.

• Like 2

Love part 2 grew on me.  Love 1 is garbage though except for like two tracks. WDNTW is mostly ok. I-Empire is pretty catchy.

The first half of Love Part 2 was great, the second half the album falls off a cliff. It becomes so terrible. The last song is laughable, "we are all that we are" - SO DEEP TOM! Maybe on the next album we can get "It is what it is" as a song...

• Like 1

it took me a really long time to be able to listen to AVA because i'd read about tom's behavior when he first announced. WDNTW, to me, still feels like the ultimate statement of the band, and their best work. it's not a bad record by any means, although it does occasionally feel self-important and even too anthemic for its own good. i've always particularly had a soft spot for start the machine.

i-empire is very listenable too and has some great material, but i listened to both LOVE records and they just ... kinda sucked. i couldn't get into either of them. the songs just feel aimless, boring, and recycled.

• Like 1

Some people go way to deep. Its just fucking music. Its good or its bad. I happen to love it. Dude with the plus44 avatar is taking it way to far. Hes not singing like hes changing the world or how ever you put it